AKQA

www.akqa.com
  www.akqa.com
There are newer employer reviews for AKQA

Eh. If interested, you'll last approximately 2 months before regretting your decision. Probably less.

Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AKQA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Most of the people there are truly good people hoping to do just awesome work.
-Relaxed work environment.
-Strong developer team.
-Soccer team

Cons

-Senior creatives lack drive and ambition to push junior creatives to do good work or worse, they push creatives in directions that go overbudget for pitiful ROI
-No development for the juniors, just career managers you've never met or have no respect for.
-Egos inflated by work done 10-12 years ago. Digital Agency of the Year... sure if you just look at $$$ only (pro-tip: charge more, get dAOY).
-Lack of commitment to any process which in turn slows down efficiency which leads to my next point
-Expected to work long hours... this would be fine if the work was worth working on.

Senior creatives should be replaced. No one is making anything newsworthy other than your London office. Develop your talent. Work for your employees... there's a reason they're leaving in droves.

201 Other Employee Reviews for AKQA (View Most Recent)

Good culture, less than ideal management. process, and compensation.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AKQA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Attitudes at this company are good. The people are relaxed, friendly, and generally approachable. Managers do their best to ship deliverables. The benefits, while not great, are good enough. AKQA is fairly lax with their rules--extra vacation time, work-from-home, etc with good reason is OK--though this does depend on your role. Software Engineers like myself have quite a bit of latitude, since we don't have to be in the office to get stuff done. There's lots to love about this workplace.

Cons

I read that compensation levels were low before I started, but we're talking about a 40% pay difference between this job and another programming gig. Comp decisions are made at a high level in the company. The managers in IT are hamstrung: they're not able to pay market level for their developers.

Consequently, the team can't retain talent and the morale dips frequently as people churn. This counters the "pros" above: turnover means more work for those left behind. And when they start looking, they inevitably jump ship for better compensation and more diverse technical challenges.

Pay your technical staff more. While AKQA is a major contender in the digital ad space, working at an agency as a software professional is almost a *liability*. I know this because in subsequent interviews I've seen a lot of head-scratching and doubting about my abilities. If you want to in-house your development work, you should be willing to pay what it takes to get and retain awesome programmers. You're not. Also, consider more engagement in language communities in the Bay Area. If you're doing interesting things (and if you pay enough), they will come.

Work hard on great brands. Try not to burn out.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AKQA full-time

Pros

Smart people. Big brands. Lots of team-building, drink-the kool-aid events. Digital natives from jr to ACD level. Execs want to get it. Great networking.

Cons

Low pay. Below average for the industry, and especially for San Francisco. Lots of long hours and weekend work. High risk of burnout. High turnover, even for advertising.

Retention is essential. Pay more. Respect the voices of the digital natives. Communicate with staff about their jobs, careers and performance more than once a year. Publicly proclaimed culture does not match the culture in the building.

There are newer employer reviews for AKQA