AKQA

www.akqa.com
  www.akqa.com
There are newer employer reviews for AKQA

Good place to work, but lots of pressure

Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AKQA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work.
Fast paced.
Good place to learn.

Cons

High pressure.
Demanding clients.
Account teams don't know how to handle clients.

Client management is the key to retaining employees.

200 Other Employee Reviews for AKQA (View Most Recent)

Eh. If interested, you'll last approximately 2 months before regretting your decision. Probably less.

Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AKQA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Most of the people there are truly good people hoping to do just awesome work.
    -Relaxed work environment.
    -Strong developer team.
    -Soccer team

Cons

-Senior creatives lack drive and ambition to push junior creatives to do good work or worse, they push creatives in directions that go overbudget for pitiful ROI
    -No development for the juniors, just career managers you've never met or have no respect for.
    -Egos inflated by work done 10-12 years ago. Digital Agency of the Year... sure if you just look at $$$ only (pro-tip: charge more, get dAOY).
    -Lack of commitment to any process which in turn slows down efficiency which leads to my next point
    -Expected to work long hours... this would be fine if the work was worth working on.

Senior creatives should be replaced. No one is making anything newsworthy other than your London office. Develop your talent. Work for your employees... there's a reason they're leaving in droves.

Good culture, less than ideal management. process, and compensation.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AKQA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Attitudes at this company are good. The people are relaxed, friendly, and generally approachable. Managers do their best to ship deliverables. The benefits, while not great, are good enough. AKQA is fairly lax with their rules--extra vacation time, work-from-home, etc with good reason is OK--though this does depend on your role. Software Engineers like myself have quite a bit of latitude, since we don't have to be in the office to get stuff done. There's lots to love about this workplace.

Cons

I read that compensation levels were low before I started, but we're talking about a 40% pay difference between this job and another programming gig. Comp decisions are made at a high level in the company. The managers in IT are hamstrung: they're not able to pay market level for their developers.

Consequently, the team can't retain talent and the morale dips frequently as people churn. This counters the "pros" above: turnover means more work for those left behind. And when they start looking, they inevitably jump ship for better compensation and more diverse technical challenges.

Pay your technical staff more. While AKQA is a major contender in the digital ad space, working at an agency as a software professional is almost a *liability*. I know this because in subsequent interviews I've seen a lot of head-scratching and doubting about my abilities. If you want to in-house your development work, you should be willing to pay what it takes to get and retain awesome programmers. You're not. Also, consider more engagement in language communities in the Bay Area. If you're doing interesting things (and if you pay enough), they will come.

There are newer employer reviews for AKQA