AKQA

www.akqa.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for AKQA

Change the guard and start paying attention.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AKQA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

AKQA has some incredibly smart, crazy talented and really fun employees. In general, you want to work hard for your colleagues here, because for the most part, the doers are solid workers and great people. Depending on which department and account you work on, it is possible to maintain a good work/life balance here. Right now, this place still has clout, so saying you work for AKQA and having it on your resume still carries weight within the industry. You have opportunities to work on high profile projects for phenomenal clients that can become award winning work (if that matters to you), and you get the chance to offer your clients some pretty cool solutions for their business challenges.

Cons

With very few exceptions, almost anyone in a senior/director role is underqualified to be in their position. Managers are not managers, they are delegators who know how to climb the ranks. If you are mid-level, you will get very little support, guidance or recognition for your work and throughout your career. A very senior member of the agency once said "The good, capable people get overlooked here."

Some of the senior managers here have simply been around too long and are not in touch with what is going on. They don't pay attention to their team members and offer very little guidance and structure. Mid and junior level people have very little visibility into the bigger picture of the agency and we have almost no idea what is expected of us.

Shockingly, this place still doesn't seem to have a handle on resourcing properly for the massive accounts it consistently brings in the door. We are constantly strapped for resources and rarely have dedicated teams to work on our projects.

Please start paying attention to your employees. Not just your shining stars, but every person who walks in these doors every day, working hard for this company and our clients. Some of your accounts are struggling and it's not because of the clients - it's internal conflicts that are a symptom of poor or zero management. You've got the people in the trenches figuring stuff out as they go. We can all do better as an organization, but we need your help. We need grown ups in the room, so to speak. Please step up.

241 Other Employee Reviews for AKQA (View Most Recent)

Talented People, Clueless Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AKQA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

AKQA's got a great location and a great space, and for a long time it was a great place to work, for the most part. It's a dog-friendly office, and there are some really talented, smart people there. It looks great on a resume, you'll gain some good experience, and make some great connections.

Cons

Low salaries, low morale, clueless upper management, over-extended employees, to start with. Whether it's true or not, no one believes management has their best interest at heart, and employees are overworked. There's a major culture and retention problem, starting with the top down. Salaries are particularly non-competitive for developers and tech.

Salaries have to get more competitive to stay relevant in the Bay Area, and employees feel neglected. Walk the floors and put action behind retention talk.

Smart, competent people doing great work for blue-chip brands.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AKQA (more than 3 years)

Pros

High-visibility work for best-in-class clients. Great location. Effective, cooperative and fun company culture.

Cons

Merely adequate compensation for all but the top creatives/executives.

There are newer employer reviews for AKQA