AKQA
www.akqa.com San Francisco, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Change the guard and start paying attention.

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AKQA full-time for more than a year

ProsAKQA has some incredibly smart, crazy talented and really fun employees. In general, you want to work hard for your colleagues here, because for the most part, the doers are solid workers and great people. Depending on which department and account you work on, it is possible to maintain a good work/life balance here. Right now, this place still has clout, so saying you work for AKQA and having it on your resume still carries weight within the industry. You have opportunities to work on high profile projects for phenomenal clients that can become award winning work (if that matters to you), and you get the chance to offer your clients some pretty cool solutions for their business challenges.

ConsWith very few exceptions, almost anyone in a senior/director role is underqualified to be in their position. Managers are not managers, they are delegators who know how to climb the ranks. If you are mid-level, you will get very little support, guidance or recognition for your work and throughout your career. A very senior member of the agency once said "The good, capable people get overlooked here."

Some of the senior managers here have simply been around too long and are not in touch with what is going on. They don't pay attention to their team members and offer very little guidance and structure. Mid and junior level people have very little visibility into the bigger picture of the agency and we have almost no idea what is expected of us.

Shockingly, this place still doesn't seem to have a handle on resourcing properly for the massive accounts it consistently brings in the door. We are constantly strapped for resources and rarely have dedicated teams to work on our projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease start paying attention to your employees. Not just your shining stars, but every person who walks in these doors every day, working hard for this company and our clients. Some of your accounts are struggling and it's not because of the clients - it's internal conflicts that are a symptom of poor or zero management. You've got the people in the trenches figuring stuff out as they go. We can all do better as an organization, but we need your help. We need grown ups in the room, so to speak. Please step up.

Amazing group of talented people

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at AKQA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Extremely talented digital natives who all push one another to… Cons: Not all the offices are of the same size and scale and they… Advice to Senior Management: Keep your independent roots intact. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Talented People, Clueless Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at AKQA full-time for more than a year

Pros: AKQA's got a great location and a great space, and for a long time it was a great place to work, for the most part.… Cons: Low salaries, low morale, clueless upper management, over-extended employees, to start with. Whether it's true or not, no one believes management has their best interest… Advice to Senior Management: Salaries have to get more competitive to stay relevant in the Bay Area,… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on AKQA.

Worked for AKQA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AKQA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AKQA CEO Ajaz Ahmed. All reviews posted anonymously by AKQA employees.