There are newer employer reviews for AKQA

Good stepping stone job, but not a good long-term solution if you want work/life balance.

Former Employee - Senior Designer in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Senior Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AKQA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AKQA has a roster of great brands that can provide excellent experience & portfolio pieces
There are some nice people working here
They're trying new tactics for improving culture & wellness

Cons

Reducing overwork is not in the culture & wellness agenda
They are spineless when it comes to standing up to clients for AKQA creatives (until it involves charging them for work).
Awful management - my direct manager once told me when I was being overworked to not do as good of a job.
In my role, there was no advancement beyond Senior-level.
Only a couple people care in each team - the others accept misery and make it their identity
You are expected to work AT LEAST until 6pm and often on late nights & evenings.
No follow-through from upper management on helping you achieve your career goals
People allow management to work them silly because it's "advertising" - they get away with stealing your personal life with this attitude.
You'd think with a company so big you'd make a lot of friends...there are a LOT of people here who don't want to be happy or go beyond acquaintances. That's fine - but it's hard to go to bat for people who you know only are nice when they want something.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the people who don't care about their work and those who embody negativity.
Show you appreciate individual effort with action (not just employee of the quarter/year but raises & promotions).
Protect your creatives from grueling deadlines.
Figure out what's happening on the account side of things so creatives who care have enough time to do the job the right way.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A new emergency almost every day

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AKQA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location across the street from AT&T, with rooftop views of The Bay.
    Great access to MUNI and CalTrain
    25 cent snacks, 50 cent soda, free water and tea
    Comfortable chair
    Bagels on Mondays
    Fruit on Tuesdays and Thursdays
    Two story dungeon with cyclone fencing and cinder-block ambiance. This could qualify as a con if you have to work down there.

Cons

Company is moving into a new office away from AT&T Park, MUNI, and CalTrain
    Two managers. I quit before they could give me a third.
    Frequently had a manager tell me that I had to immediately stop whatever I was working on and work on something else. Had to get approval from my other manager before I could switch tasks.
    Too many employees, too little floor space assigned. Other areas of the office were nearly vacant.
    Lunch areas doubled as conference rooms.
    Dog fighting. 0/10 Will never work in another pet friendly office.
    Loud arguing 2 cubicles over regarding the latest emergency.
    Caught a couple of illnesses floating around the office. Was called out weeks later for taking time off.
    Ulcer

Advice to Management

It wouldn't kill you to step aside and let me complete a task before putting me to work on a new one.

Don't believe the hype.

I have been working at AKQA full-time

Pros

Some great talent.

Some decent project briefs

Good for resume

Cons

No evenings or weekends. Work life balance doesn't exist-this place burns people out. If you have a family be prepared to never see them. Be prepared to miss holidays, vacation days and personal days.

Unrealistic deadlines, production mentality, sell executions not ideas.

Unreal turnover rate.

Only value winning.

Advice to Management

Growth is great, but...Try and keep the good people, you're burning everyone out.