ALDI

www.aldi.us
  www.aldi.us
There are newer employer reviews for ALDI

Good pay in exchange for a lot of hard work

Current Employee - Cashier in Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Cashier in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

The pay at Aldi is what keeps us going back to work every day. We're a group of people who have largely never seen the inside of a college, aren't the type of people who care for (or can find a job in) manufacturing, but want to make an honest wage. We can safely say that we make as much or more than at comparable jobs throughout the industry.

Benefits are also good. Health, Dental, Life and Vision are all available to full time employees (which is classified as 20+ hours a week at Aldi). The rates are cheap, and the company will pay you $50/month for opting out.

Retirement plans are available in the form of a 401k through T.Rowe Price. The company pays 5% of your salary into the plan regardless of your contribution amount. This is, obviously, only a plus if you're paying less than 5% into the plan. The payments also seem to be discretionary, but have been paid without a hitch thus far.

Cons

The company largely disregards labor laws with regard to breaks. The few employees who have pushed to receive their lawful breaks have been given them and then terminated for some unrelated reason a few months later. This wouldn't be so bad if we were working at a normal grocery store, but when you're running a store with no more than 2 or 3 people on staff at any given time it starts to get to you, especially when you're working a longer shift. Theo Albrecht is the 10th richest person in the world, and it's no secret that pinching pennies is how he got there, but when you're working in a store that's pushing $30,000 in product through the doors each and every day, it stings a bit when you're told that an extra $120 in labor costs would throw the budget off.

Another big downside, (also related to our small staff), is that there is very little sympathy for out of work obligations. Aldi offers no support for their employees who need days off for college, children, 2nd jobs, etc. We are told that we need to make ourselves available from 5am to 11pm without exception.

Stay competitive in the labor market. Your staff has developed an aura of respect surrounding their employment at Aldi because they are treated well financially. You've just completed an advertising campaign that has proven to be an overwhelming success, and your employees are working harder than ever as a result. Give something back to them or you'll likely have a mess on your hands. Kind of hard to please all those new customers in the midst of a turnover crisis, no?

561 Other Employee Reviews for ALDI (View Most Recent)

Honest review of ALDI DM

Current Employee - District Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - District Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

I have total freedom and flexibility in scheduling. I dont have an office to report to. I truly believe that ALDI offer incredible value to our customers. The growth we are experiencing now is unbelievable. The current economic climate is almost custom tailored for highlighting our benefits to our customers. Many people hired to be a DM take this as their first job out of college, so the salary is unbelievable if this is your only exposure to the business world. The training program is very thorough, almost too long. You don't have ignorance as an excuse when you finish training.

Cons

Working weekends. Literally 1980 technology. Decision making authority kept too high.

More Technology, more customer service.

Aldi

Former Employee - Store Assistant in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Store Assistant in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at ALDI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay, benefits, hours, flexibility, accepting, work-life balance, advancement, good culture, friendliness, entry level, team building, co workers. Good when starting, great experience, respectful, helpful.

Cons

Fast-paced and can be tiring. Under-hiring when busy, cost-cutting, all very minor overall company is very good to work for, great place to start and either move up or move on.

None