There are newer employer reviews for ALDI

Good pay in exchange for a lot of hard work

Current Employee - Cashier in Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Cashier in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at ALDI

Pros

The pay at Aldi is what keeps us going back to work every day. We're a group of people who have largely never seen the inside of a college, aren't the type of people who care for (or can find a job in) manufacturing, but want to make an honest wage. We can safely say that we make as much or more than at comparable jobs throughout the industry.

Benefits are also good. Health, Dental, Life and Vision are all available to full time employees (which is classified as 20+ hours a week at Aldi). The rates are cheap, and the company will pay you $50/month for opting out.

Retirement plans are available in the form of a 401k through T.Rowe Price. The company pays 5% of your salary into the plan regardless of your contribution amount. This is, obviously, only a plus if you're paying less than 5% into the plan. The payments also seem to be discretionary, but have been paid without a hitch thus far.

Cons

The company largely disregards labor laws with regard to breaks. The few employees who have pushed to receive their lawful breaks have been given them and then terminated for some unrelated reason a few months later. This wouldn't be so bad if we were working at a normal grocery store, but when you're running a store with no more than 2 or 3 people on staff at any given time it starts to get to you, especially when you're working a longer shift. Theo Albrecht is the 10th richest person in the world, and it's no secret that pinching pennies is how he got there, but when you're working in a store that's pushing $30,000 in product through the doors each and every day, it stings a bit when you're told that an extra $120 in labor costs would throw the budget off.

Another big downside, (also related to our small staff), is that there is very little sympathy for out of work obligations. Aldi offers no support for their employees who need days off for college, children, 2nd jobs, etc. We are told that we need to make ourselves available from 5am to 11pm without exception.

Stay competitive in the labor market. Your staff has developed an aura of respect surrounding their employment at Aldi because they are treated well financially. You've just completed an advertising campaign that has proven to be an overwhelming success, and your employees are working harder than ever as a result. Give something back to them or you'll likely have a mess on your hands. Kind of hard to please all those new customers in the midst of a turnover crisis, no?

501 Other Employee Reviews for ALDI (View Most Recent)

Great work culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at ALDI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hierarchy is flat in the head office, salary is above award and hence not much politics and people are prepared to be loyal for the rest of their lives. Work dynamic is always simple, effective and clear because of the management system and ethics everyone complies to. Very open to employees opinion and takes action to improve employees satisfaction. 5 weeks annual leave from first year, extra maternity leave payment.

Cons

The other side of the coin is that there is not much room to get promoted, crappy job titles at assistant level prevent you to get another job outside. Management system also prevented beneficial ideas to get through efficiently.

While superlatively valuing store talents and transferring them into the head office, may consider embracing other professionals more.

Hard business culture

Former Employee - Area Manager in Gold Coast (Australia)
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Gold Coast (Australia)

I worked at ALDI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a good company to work for if you are looking to start a retail career. They are very results/performance driven, so you learn how to be direct, efficient and make tough decisions under pressure. There is also opportunity for advancement as the company expands here in Australia.

Cons

It is a very hard business culture. There is a strict hierarchy and communication chain, and a lot of cultural overhead. There is little opportunity to develop friendships with colleagues, and if fact, socializing is actively discouraged. The management style is very rigid and uncompromising; often to the detriment of staff.

There are newer employer reviews for ALDI