There are newer employer reviews for ALTRES

Great place to work - for locals

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I worked at ALTRES

Pros

There is a good level of Team work and appreciation for all contributors in every department from service to marketing.

Cons

As an out of state employee there wasn't any welcome committee aside from the owner a few times. The company should work a little harder to make their imported talent feel welcome.

Barron Guss is a great manager and leader. He has created an awesome company his father would be proud of. My only advice would be that the sales department needs a local leader.

10 Other Employee Reviews for ALTRES (View Most Recent)

Best place I have ever worked...period.

I worked at ALTRES full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family oriented culture that respects your time and the time you share with your family. They focus on results and growth, but not at the expense of their people. I've never been in a more understanding, supportive and active work environment. Its not for everyone, some people can't handle the work, the pace or the demands of the job. As much as people do leave most of the people here have been here for over 6 years, in this day and age that says a lot.

Cons

Its a smaller organization. You can only rise so far in the organization. That being said, I've always been given opportunities to rise in the organization when I asked for them. Barron and Kerry are entrepreneurs and support innovative ideas and approaches.

Don't ever retire. Hawaii is a better place with the two of you leading ALTRES.

Good corporate culture, competitive salaries, excellent benefits

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at ALTRES full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very exciting work environment. Leadership stays on top of the changing business environment and doesn't allow the company to stagnate. There are always lots of special projects to be part of.

Suggestions from staff on ways to work more efficiently are encouraged.

Lateral movement is possible. I have known people to move between departments and there is a place to see and apply for other positions.

The compensation package is great. Adequate vacation time especially after a few years with the company. Great 401(k) options and company match. Family coverage for health and dental also after a couple years of service. Parking reimbursement, tuition and education reimbursement. In house training opportunities. Really, really great benefits overall.

Cons

ALTRES is really two companies, staffing and outsourced HR services (marketed as simplicityHR). The company is large enough that it is not possible to really know everyone on a personal level.

Everyone works hard and managers lead by example in this respect. But sometimes the details get in the way and cause a lack of big picture perspective from middle management. Expectations and priorities are not always made clear.

Career opportunities are somewhat limited. It's a great place for people just starting out or those with a Senior Specialist type of title as a goal. Not much hiring from within for management positions that I can tell.

Keep doing what you can to keep the small company, family feeling even as the head count grows. The volunteer events and corporate sponsored events are great.

Consider adding project management positions. Department managers are being pulled in too many directions.

There are newer employer reviews for ALTRES