There are newer employer reviews for AMD

Overall good place to work.... people are generally friendly

Pros

Friendly colleagues, supportive bosses... (depending on team) Generally work life balance is achievable if planning is adequate.

Cons

Knowledge sharing and know-how might not be adequately shared. Fresh entry engineers might feel it hard to keep up... Promotion and performace rating is hardly based on actual work performance and diligence. Rather it is based on relationship with senior management.

Advice to Management

Empower your employees to take on responsibility and not micromanage.... be fair to the people who work hard and contribute; and not to reward the people who "talk the talks" but never take actions to "walk the talk"

Other Employee Reviews for AMD

A company with a very complex model / tough tall order BUT has the greatest collection of good people in the industry.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)

Pros

People in AMD are downright good hearted people with brilliant minds. I never ever felt I have to always watch my back. I had not met a Micro Manager here. Takes forever to hire (I've put in so many long hours) but they know to hire those who they can trust. Very flexible so long am at work at 10am. I have to take kids to day care. Mgt understands parent duties very strongly. Management encourages use of vacation/time off.

Cons

Promotions take forever. You know other companies are always eyeing AMD people so one's always fighting the thought of moving or staying. Constant change in leadership

Advice to Management

Don't overlook your current employees. Promote as fairly. We are happy when there's a new engineer in the team. Next things we check is the title they were hired into.

2. Great place to work.

Current Employee - ASIC Design Engineer in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - ASIC Design Engineer in Markham, ON (Canada)

Pros

-Flexible hours (core hours between 10am and 4pm, you can come in early to leave at 4, or come in at 10 to leave late. -Great benefits (full-time get 90% dental - max $2,000, full drug, full massage, physio, chiro, orthotics, etc - max $500 each) -Very friendly. -Great place to learn.

Cons

-Located in Markham (horrible traffic). -Small percentage of women.