AMD

Needs Improvement

Current Employee - Technical Alliance Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Technical Alliance Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at AMD

Pros

The people on my team. Very smart and dedicated.

Cons

Financial Uncertainty of the company. Multiple rounds of layoffs over past year.

Do one big cut, not lots of small cuts. Explain to us how you are reducing real estate costs. Address the rumor that a buyer for ONE AMD Place is the reason we went through a disruptive physical move Be more communicative. Most things I hear on the web about AMD are then confirmed by AMD mgmt days later. gg

1230 Other Employee Reviews for AMD (View Most Recent)

Used to be better...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD

Pros

Laid back culture, fairly flexible hours, a good number of very smart people to work around, mid-level management is personable and easy to work with

Cons

Frequent layoffs, frequent changes in project plans, projects understaffed with no downtime between them, benefits not competitive with other chip design companies in Austin, promotions based on obscure and borderline non-sensical ranking system with manager personality and politics playing a larger role than technical ability/job performance.

Fix morale, make recent benefit changes temporary instead of permanent. The best and brightest can easily find better employment terms in Austin, and AMD needs to do something, anything, more than just appealing to their nostalgia, to keep them at AMD.

A good work environment but they have had to cut back on a lot of benefits recently.

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD

Pros

My group provided a very positive work environment and there was lots of opportunities to work on various aspects of the projects. I also like the manager I work under and he does a good job of giving me interesting work when the situation allows it. The new site in Austin is very nice to work in with lots of amenities like a cafeteria, gym, basketball courts...etc.

Cons

Due to the recent financial results for AMD, they had to cut back on various things such as merit increases, bonuses, sabbaticals, employee stock purchase plans. It's hard to stay motivated when they also seem to cancel a lot of projects.

Be more realistic with project scheduling.

There are newer employer reviews for AMD