AMD

www.amd.com
  www.amd.com
There are newer employer reviews for AMD

Fulfilling opportunities to work with leading edge technology and pursue my own career path.

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD

Pros

Benefits are great, work life balance is emphasised.

Cons

Large company can make communication across teams challenging.

Continue to focus support of employee growth and opportunity to change or advance.

1214 Other Employee Reviews for AMD (View Most Recent)

8 year former employee

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD

Pros

1) The people - engineers (hardware, software and debug) were fantastic people. Lower management as well were all hard working and conscientious. I would gladly call everyone I worked with my friend.
    2) Work life balance - Other than bringup/launch times, plenty of leeway was given to do the things that we all want to do: go to school with kids, eat dinner at home with family, go the the gym, etc.
    3) Doing what you want - I was firm enough with my manager that when I said I was going to do something, I meant it. So, when I wanted to learn something new, I was able to go do it.

Cons

1) Squeaky wheel syndrome - I was squeaky, so I got more grease than those around me, but they don't give you ANYTHING that you don't demand. They really should reward people for their effort, not for their complaining.
    2) Management sucks - I was there for 7 or 8 rounds of layoffs and I kept watching the talent walk out the door while the managers and PMs filled their ranks with "architects" and fellows.

1) It is time to hire some new-grads. They are hard working and eager. They train, usually, in 6months to a year and they stick around for 4-5 years before they realize you are screwing them. They are a good resource that you should use to good effect.
    2) You pay people to be subject matter experts, so here's an idea: Listen to them when they give you their expert opinion.
    3) Stop replacing your outgoing talent with contract labor. You literally laid off half of the CAM team while hiring replacement contracts. Those people knew what they were doing and got the job done. You crippled that team to save a few dollars. Shame on you.

Excellent technical leaders. Innovative technology happens in AMD

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at AMD

Pros

Flexibility of work type. You can shape your career as you want.
    Management will provide the opportunity

Cons

Your furture is in your reporting managers hand. He can misuse the performance rating feedback.
    No one in upper management, will question his rating. There is a repeated misuse of the "performance rating" system.

Please establish some checks and balances on direct Managers, who misuse the "annual performance rating" system.

There are newer employer reviews for AMD