AMD

www.amd.com
There are newer employer reviews for AMD

Fulfilling opportunities to work with leading edge technology and pursue my own career path.

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD

Pros

Benefits are great, work life balance is emphasised.

Cons

Large company can make communication across teams challenging.

Continue to focus support of employee growth and opportunity to change or advance.

1230 Other Employee Reviews for AMD (View Most Recent)

8 year former employee

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD

Pros

1) The people - engineers (hardware, software and debug) were fantastic people. Lower management as well were all hard working and conscientious. I would gladly call everyone I worked with my friend.
    2) Work life balance - Other than bringup/launch times, plenty of leeway was given to do the things that we all want to do: go to school with kids, eat dinner at home with family, go the the gym, etc.
    3) Doing what you want - I was firm enough with my manager that when I said I was going to do something, I meant it. So, when I wanted to learn something new, I was able to go do it.

Cons

1) Squeaky wheel syndrome - I was squeaky, so I got more grease than those around me, but they don't give you ANYTHING that you don't demand. They really should reward people for their effort, not for their complaining.
    2) Management sucks - I was there for 7 or 8 rounds of layoffs and I kept watching the talent walk out the door while the managers and PMs filled their ranks with "architects" and fellows.

1) It is time to hire some new-grads. They are hard working and eager. They train, usually, in 6months to a year and they stick around for 4-5 years before they realize you are screwing them. They are a good resource that you should use to good effect.
    2) You pay people to be subject matter experts, so here's an idea: Listen to them when they give you their expert opinion.
    3) Stop replacing your outgoing talent with contract labor. You literally laid off half of the CAM team while hiring replacement contracts. Those people knew what they were doing and got the job done. You crippled that team to save a few dollars. Shame on you.

Used to be great, deteriorating culture....

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Design Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Design Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD

Pros

(1) The company still has some very smart engineers.
    (2) Decent work-life balance, but that is changing.
    (3) Employees starting their careers get a chance to learn a lot compared to bigger companies.

Cons

(1) This is not a company to join for long term growth prospects. The most productive period of an engineer in AMD is the first 3-4 years from joining.
    (2) The senior management is increasingly adopting an engineer unfriendly approach (think of Google, then reverse it). As a result, the best and brightest are increasingly calling it quits, and it seems the management does not care. There is no effort whatsoever to either retain existing talent or to attract talent.
    (3) When experienced engineers quit, they are largely replaced by Program Managers (or people with equivalent skill sets), causing a severe dearth in technical leadership.
    (4) There is no support for any out-of-the-box thinking at all, which is what made AMD a household name to begin with.

Employees are your biggest strength - and it's not just a cute corporate buzzword. When the best engineers leave the company, you are trading your long term viability for short term profits. Remember that AMD is a technical company, and disrespecting your technical talent is a quick path to irrelevance.

There are newer employer reviews for AMD