AMD

There are newer employer reviews for AMD

Hire and Fire mindset

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff Design Engineer in Boxborough, MA
Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff Design Engineer in Boxborough, MA

I worked at AMD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some very talented and intelligent engineers that were great to work with

Cons

Management completely screwed up with constant thrashing of projects and no clear direction that they are taking the company, if they continue this way they will not survive.
Hire and fire mindset, fire employees to make the financials look good then months later hiring again. Very shady, I know of a woman that was on maternity leave and was laid off.

Come up with a concrete plan/direction and stick to it.

1190 Other Employee Reviews for AMD (View Most Recent)

Used to like it but last few years have been a huge disappointment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a nice place to work (until 2008) with good spirit and interesting work.

Cons

Too many layoffs. Too many promises not kept by management. Unrealistic business goals. Too much bureaucracy.

In April 2012 we were supposed to have the best year ever and in June 2012 it changed to be the worst year ever. Need a clear objective and have a plan we can actually deliver.

Lack of leadership and management at the Director level and below.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay
    Good, smart, hard working people
    Nice facility

Cons

Lack of leadership
    Lack of management
    Lack of team building
    Too many levels of management
    Too many exec managers/directors building kingdoms
    Lack of business process and too much tribal knowledge running the company

I like the CEO and want to believe that he is taking the company in the right direction.
    -Management needs to focus on their people and realize that the people are their number one asset. A managers job is to create the right environment for their people to succeed. This includes providing the value, direction, leadership, coaching, training, tools, improvements and a genuine dedication for their team. It's not about the manager succeeding it's about the team succeeding at all levels.
    -Focus on execution and the leadership at the working level. Good people will do good things with the right direction and leadership.
    -Align the product development with an achievable business cycle. Get started earlier if needed.
    -Focus on completing a high quality tape out on time. In other words don't push the risk later in development. Pushing risk later in development is like landing a plane at the far end of the runway, it's not a good outcome.
    -Here is a quote from a very talented and hard working engineer. " We worked very hard and still did not make any money. Apple made HUGE money and I know they did not work as hard as we did." Good people want to contribute and make an impact but will eventually get burned out. AMD has good people don't burn them out, show them your support.
    -I'm still a stock holder and want to see the company succeed in a big way and not just for me.

There are newer employer reviews for AMD