AMD

www.amd.com
  www.amd.com
There are newer employer reviews for AMD

A frustrating place to work -- poor management decisions and cumbersome processes

Current Employee - Senior Member Technical Staff in Boxborough, MA
Current Employee - Senior Member Technical Staff in Boxborough, MA

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of good technical people and challenging work.

Cons

Ongoing management churn with poor decisions, missed schedules, and frequent roadmap revisions. Software release processes are convoluted and failing.

1211 Other Employee Reviews for AMD (View Most Recent)

AMD lacks future vision even with the new low power direction

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Design Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Design Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not exactly Pros, but comments: Engineers are the best part. Love working with the team. Bright minds!.. CEO/ Management is a different story. Currently (Nov 2012) they in a "cutting your loss" mode. Stock is at $2.50 or so. So they let go a bunch of
    talented and pretty bright guys that were real drivers of the team, all in the name of cutting loss.Not performance related layoffs, atleast not this time as far as I can see!!.

Cons

Reory Read needs to change his plans. He needs to comeup with clear product lines that can fetch us money. Instead of just laying people off and dissovling the company and while keeping his job!!.
    The low power mobile market AMD is planning to enter is already saturated with Qcom,nVidia,TI and others. And AMD is like an year away from a real good tested product to compete in that space.
    Then comes performance of the products which was always questionable aganist Intel. So although I still work here, I see a shakey future. Reory read, needs to come up with a plan to back fill with a vision of good products. Just licensing ARM wont cut it!. All those companies do it too, including Samsung.
    One more thing: AMD needs foot soliders- engineers to ge the job done. But AMD is top heavy
    with lots of Directors and Senior managers. Why?. Reason?. Lay them off instead and
    consolidate your org. I am against letting go bright enigneers. Reory Read is not "Read"ing it right!
    May be he should take a pay cut to contribute to his "cutting the loss" approach! ;-).

Stop laying off bright engineers; come up with good products. Go after senior managers and cut the
    number of directors.

Good people to work with

Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at AMD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have had good success with my direct bosses. Hard work is rewarded by management. Great technology to work on.

Cons

Company performance is very volatile. Many layoffs over the past 5 years. Your own performance may not be well rewarded if company is not performing well.

Some stability would be appreciated.

There are newer employer reviews for AMD