AMD
3.1 of 5 1,049 reviews
www.amd.com Sunnyvale, CA 5000+ Employees

Incredibly poor management

Software Development Engineer II (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at AMD full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAMD has (or had) great individual contributors - engineers, MTS etc. For engineers, its easy to stand out by leading initiatives independently. If management was supportive, these guys can churn out products to beat Intel, but frequent roadmap changes lead to products being cancelled, leading to dissatisfaction.

There is a great work-life balance, office is almost empty after 6 p.m. and no one cares about what time you come in as long as you get the work done.

Cons-There is no long-term plan by management. Everyone misses Dirk Meyer.
-Reorganizations happen almost every year, layoffs happen once in 15 months.
-A lot of the mid-senior managers are unqualified.
-Bonuses are rare.
-Software division is treated as expendable even though there are a lot of really great engineers there. Lots of politics among the senior managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the useless managers instead of the engineers. This company is just a shadow of the AMD of the 2005-06. Also, stop with the useless acquisitions and splits that cost a lot of $, better used for creating products.

On it's way out

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at AMD full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: flexible, learning experience, mid-level management, culture is ok depending on… Cons: Our restructuring efforts are designed to simplify our product development cycles, reduce our breakeven point and enable… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Best company to work at

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at AMD full-time for more than a year

Pros: good quality of people and work, time flexibility at work is the best thing they… Cons: company not making profit as the projects they are working are not… Advice to Senior Management: should do projects which are profitable Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on AMD.

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AMD reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AMD CEO Rory Read. All reviews posted anonymously by AMD employees.