AMD
3.1 of 5 1,088 reviews
www.amd.com Sunnyvale, CA 5000+ Employees

Was good in the begining...

Senior Solutions Architect (Former Employee)
Boxborough, MA

ProsUltra High-tech firm with access to cutting edge technologies.

Health benefits exceeded the industry standard. I never paid anything except a small co-pay, even for major surgery.

Absolutely amazing colleagues. Some of the brightest minds in the world work there.

ConsWhat you’re hired at was about as good as it gets. The company would consistently hire very senior level people, at very competitive salaries, and then assign them a title that would limit their potential for receiving any significant form of raise. Most often the salary increases wouldn’t even cover increases in cost of living (not good for a long term career). Often when referring people into he company we would inform them to only accept a position if the company agreed to change the title to a higher level, thus forcing them to be hired at the bottom of the salary range with room for salary increases.

The Information Technology teams were re-organized SIX TIMES from the beginning of 2010 to the latter half of 2012. By the end the staff was “siloed” into groups based on very specific functions, and none of these groups communicated well. This made it impossible to complete any project. By the end of this time it was common to say “If you don’t like what you’re doing, just wait two months”.

If you are not located in Austin, TX then you will often get overlooked (referred to internally as “Good ole Boy Syndrome”)

There is a major lack of focus from upper management (Director up), and middle management is horribly overworked (promotion to management was considered a death sentence).

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus!!!

Management seems to be lost at this point

Smts (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

I have been working at AMD full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Decent salary. Relatively competitive high tech work, Cons: Management seems to have no idea what they are doing or which direction they want to take company to. No long term vision… Advice to Senior Management: Respect employee. Take care of employee and revenue will follow. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Incredibly poor management

Software Development Engineer II (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

I worked at AMD full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: AMD has (or had) great individual contributors - engineers, MTS etc. For engineers, its easy to stand out by leading initiatives independently. If management was… Cons: -There is no long-term plan by management. Everyone misses Dirk Meyer. -Reorganizations happen almost every year, layoffs happen once in 15 months. -A lot of… Advice to Senior Management: Get rid of the useless managers instead of the engineers. This company is just a shadow of the AMD of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on AMD.

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AMD reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AMD CEO Rory Read. All reviews posted anonymously by AMD employees.