AMD

www.amd.com

Intense, but good if you like a startup feeling in an established public company.

Principal Design Engineer (Former Employee) Boxborough, MA

ProsGood if you want to design microprocessors and graphics processing units (cpus and gpus), cmos circuits and microprocessor architecture. Design teams are big and spread all over the world. A lot of teleconference meetings and possibly some travel involved.

ConsProjects can be too long (3-5 years) which makes them prone to a higher level of uncertainty on their completion (market changes, technology changes, management changes, etc). You are expected to be able to log in from home or while on the road. People tend to put in long hours including and it is not uncommon to receive and send email 24/7. Design teams are all over the country and world therefore there is a need to have teleconference meetings at odd times which could be very early, very late, or during lunch time. Has very similar performance policies as Intel: top 10% employees get treated like kings, bottom 10% employees get laid off in the next cost cutting round, the other 80% get below expectation reviews during tough times and average reviews during good times.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be honest during performance reviews and not use them as "motivational tools". It is not fair on hard working employees and it takes a big toll on company morale.

Difficult company to work for at times

I have been working at AMD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Had the opportunity to work with many talented engineers and… Cons: Too much work but not enough people staffed for the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

No way

Global Lead Sourcing (Former Employee) Austin, TX

I worked at AMD full-time for more than a year

Pros: I worked in the Austin office, and like most company offices… Cons: Working in the global lead sourcing department was a nightmare. The people who run the… Advice to Senior Management: Get rid of your procurement folks. No one likes them… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on AMD.

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!