AMD

www.amd.com

Nice people, Exciting work... Scary Future

Software Engineer II (Former Employee) Markham, ON (Canada)

Pros- Most people are very friendly
- One of the best work/life balances I've ever seen from a tech company
- Interesting work and often open to new ideas
- Good pay, good benefits, promotions were readily obtainable. I watched one guy I worked with go from an intermediate-level engineer to a senior engineer to a member of staff to a senior member of staff in like... 5 years.

Cons- Very poor morale from employees... not surprising since 1/3 of them just got layed off seemingly at random
- The desktop/laptop market is dying quickly, leaving management to struggle to try to find a different niche for them to fall into.
- Like any other big company, you have to put up with a lot of bureaucracy

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly guys, I'd hate to be in your shoes right now. You've got touch choices to make, and you have to find some way to convince your crew to stay motivated even though you don't even really know where the ship's headed either. Hopefully this whole ARM/x86 thing works out for you!

Great learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AMD full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Fantastic work environment, great people Good first job, defenitely felt like staying there… Cons: Promotions rare, unplanned attempts do get things accomplished only results in more work. Hopefully… More

Great experience, with lots of stuff to learn

I have been working at AMD

Pros: great learning experience, nice people Cons: bureaucracy, bad management, pay is a bit low More
There are newer reviews on AMD.

Worked for AMD? Contribute to the Community!