AMD

www.amd.com
There are newer employer reviews for AMD

Reasonable, but steadily declining since AMD bought out ATI

Former Employee - Project Manager in Markham, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Project Manager in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at AMD full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They are continually releasing state of the art graphics products, which are very interesting to work on. Potential exposure to both hardware and software development.

Cons

Since AMD bought out ATI, the state of affairs in the Markham office has been slowly but steadily degrading. All senior management is based in the US, and there is zero loyalty or even respect for what the Canadian operation brings to the table.

Stop outsourcing to cheaper geographies. Respect your employees instead of just your bottom line.

1230 Other Employee Reviews for AMD (View Most Recent)

Nice people, Exciting work... Scary Future

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at AMD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Most people are very friendly
    - One of the best work/life balances I've ever seen from a tech company
    - Interesting work and often open to new ideas
    - Good pay, good benefits, promotions were readily obtainable. I watched one guy I worked with go from an intermediate-level engineer to a senior engineer to a member of staff to a senior member of staff in like... 5 years.

Cons

- Very poor morale from employees... not surprising since 1/3 of them just got layed off seemingly at random
    - The desktop/laptop market is dying quickly, leaving management to struggle to try to find a different niche for them to fall into.
    - Like any other big company, you have to put up with a lot of bureaucracy

Honestly guys, I'd hate to be in your shoes right now. You've got touch choices to make, and you have to find some way to convince your crew to stay motivated even though you don't even really know where the ship's headed either. Hopefully this whole ARM/x86 thing works out for you!

Great learning experience

I worked at AMD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic work environment, great people
    Good first job, defenitely felt like staying there for ever. Interesting opportunities to work with different groups of talented people.

Cons

Promotions rare, unplanned attempts do get things accomplished only results in more work.
    Hopefully , the company does better soon. Layoffs have been a concern recently..more than anything

There are newer employer reviews for AMD