There are newer employer reviews for AMD

A learning experience from big corporate companies.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at AMD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are incredibly talented people that work day and night for this company, bar none the best and brightest in the world. I've learned so much about how things work in a big corporate office setting that I'll take with me throughout my career. Also, the intramural sports leagues seem like fun, and the on-site gym is kept very well!

Cons

Not much really, but I would say that I as well as many other former employees felt the squeeze of the new CEO. The cost cutting was absolutely hurting our morale, not just in the department but the whole company. Then the eventual rounds of annual layoffs occured. Maybe it's more fun to work in the consumer products side than the workstation/professional side.

Seriously, find the sweet spots and execute. If you play like Intel within, you will lose to Intel out there. Also, find technologies that are in demand and will gain serious traction before even whispering a word about it to the public. Keep your promises.

1159 Other Employee Reviews for AMD (View Most Recent)

Co-op engineer

Former Employee - Co-Op in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Co-Op in Austin, TX

I worked at AMD as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

good technical exposure and teams are very experienced

Cons

did not get full time offer

none

Top heavy company, please move this sinking ship to right direction

Former Employee - Employee
    Former Employee - Employee

I worked at AMD full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Learn lot of cutting edge CPU/GPU knowledge and how to deal with politics.
    - Learn and get away unless you are bosom friend of your boss. You will get bulletproof vest exempt from layoff.

Cons

- Very political and nepotism. Hiring and promotion only for their dull and unqualified old buddies. Work hard doesn't mean have chance to get reward or promotion, but reciprocated by layoff.

- Low level developers are undervalued and overworked. Managers and old timers are relax, slow, unproductive and WFH. Perfect work-life balance and fat salary for them. Top notch favoritism. Shameless mouth-blabbering wins over dedicated and skilled hard workers.

- Almost two years turmoil, but it won't stop. Upper management cuts many x86 projects and treats employee like COST and DIRT, middle management only care about their job aggressively throw their resources under the bus to cover their ass. Later on, they have to hire engineers back to run projects. This stupid "AMD routine" never saved cost and defer product launch schedule.

- Now this is a place for mouth-blabbers, smart-talkers and shameless butt-kissers. Not a place for skilled and honest folks to invent exciting products.

- Wake-up pal, failed to be credible x86 2nd source, why expect low margin and crowded market ARM to bring tons of thousand cash ? There is no time and cash to bet on risky gamble.

- Clean house incompetent management . Acquired money-losing business makes quarterly report worse.

- Marketable engineers got cut or fled to competitors. There is no ability to compete with their rivals. Only cut x86 projects and massive layoff, no solid and effective turn around plan, it is suicide behavior. This company won't prosper again.

- Invest more in x86 SOC, finding the right talent and investing in customer base.

- Layoff decision should base on skills, not nepotism.

There are newer employer reviews for AMD