There are newer employer reviews for AMETEK

stingy company w/ unethical management

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Baldwin Park, CA
Former Employee - Project Engineer in Baldwin Park, CA

Pros

No overtime, so 40 hr per week. If you leave late, you can use the time you accumulated to leave early or come in late.

Cons

Pay is about 25-30% below market rate. There isn't any bonus or profit sharing. Employees are not motivated and has very low morale. The engineering manager/director is a jealousy person and will take credit for your work to help him to get promotion from his boss while the top management doesn't really know your existence. Has very low ethics and has no shame in taking other's work results w/o other's permission and shows no appreciation. Promote a very political climate within the department. Uses his pet engineer to spy on other engineers. Between managers and managers, there are major issues. Quality and Manufacturing (managed by a Redneck bully) doesn't communicate or exchange information and most likely hate each other to death. MRB takes place once a quarter it seems. Once the failed production units are found, they go into the MRB cabinet and stay there for 3 month.

Advice to Management

Pay employees with market rate and boost up benefits to motivate employees. Hire some qualified managers for engineering, manufacturing and quality. Promote a friendly working environment.

Other Employee Reviews for AMETEK

1. Nuetral

Current Employee - Inventory Analyst in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO
    Current Employee - Inventory Analyst in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO

Pros

The best things I liked about working for Ametek was that there was a lot of learning experiences for me. I was able to learn about the Six Sigma tools and apply them in the new companies I worked for and be able to make them more efficient in the long run. Automotive "techniques" can be utilized in just about any company. This was very valuable in my continued carerr success.

Cons

I had a boss that was very demanding and did not have a great way of showing appreciation for doing a good job. He was very difficult to work for but on the flip side I did learn some things Not to do from his management style

Advice to Management

Praise the employees

Careful before you accept an offer!

Former Employee - Senior Level Manager in Kent, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Level Manager in Kent, OH

Pros

The corporation originally was based on a high degree of autonomy within each of the individual operating units. The corporate offices were primarily a efficient financial mechanism to support the growth of the divisions. A family atmosphere was strongly promoted and respect for the individual was very good. Over the past several years however, bottom-line at all costs thinking has been the norm - to a very high degree, many of the original principles are slipping away quickly.

Cons

One - there is no visibility on future of the individual employee's career. Bottom-line at all costs thinking has become the norm. Although this has been sold as the best path to enhance shareholder value, many times margins have slid through "meat-ax" plant closures. I would be careful to have some candid talks with current employees before accepting a position. Check Ametek's history of acquisitiion and closure. I personally know of colleagues who accepted transfers to locations that were ceased less than 6 months after a move. As an investor, I sold my holdings 2 years ago and have no plans to repurchase. If you like the GE model, this may be the place for you!

Advice to Management

Restore some of the values of the Lux era. Bring some balance to the numerous stakeholders. Shareholder enhancement has been very good. However, the other stakeholders in successful respected corporations, namely employees, communities, and product quality have suffered.