There are newer employer reviews for AMF Bowling

An okay part time job for now

Current Employee - Bartender in Fresno, CA
Current Employee - Bartender in Fresno, CA

I have been working at AMF Bowling full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy going fun atmosphere and is very relaxed.

Cons

little employee appreciation and no raises in years

111 Other Employee Reviews for AMF Bowling (View Most Recent)

Bowling

Current Employee - Lane Server in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Lane Server in Alameda, CA

I have been working at AMF Bowling part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Staff,Co-workers and ever Greater Managers. Awesome work environment. Fun as hell!

Cons

It could get crazy Busy, easy to lose track of things if its packed. Drunk customers at times.

I would work there again.

Former Employee - Facility Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Facility Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at AMF Bowling full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Had the opportunity for OT by working across multiple centers. Wage was decent for the work involved at certain centers. Never had a problem getting time off since I was able to make all the mechanics schedules. Parts orders were never declined when they were near or slightly over budget. Health/Vision/Dental/Life was affordable and I used it. Severance package was reasonable.

Cons

Maintenance budgets are based on previous year spending, not what the facility needs. This causes a HUGE variance in the Have's vs Have-Not's. So, the neglected centers get bubble gum and duct tape while the profitable ones have more parts than they will ever use. The good GMs recognized this and didn't sacrifice the long term well being of the capital equipment. The bad GMs didn't care and were only concerned about squeezing their budgets to make bonuses for themselves. A lot of these people were from an F&B background and had no clue how manage a bowling center. Most are gone now. And since they are closing ~28 centers, there will be fewer opportunities to move. My educated guess is there won't be any more raises for a long while again.

The standard league house concept just isn't doing well these days. With fewer league bowlers, AMF has challenges ahead. FEC's have siphoned off an enormous amount of open play customers who can get more entertainment options now. The times they are a changin'. The larger centers with a solid base of leagues will survive. The rest will either close or have to be transformed into a 300 upscale type facility if it is feasible for their market. I understand that CHS Capital has owned AMF since February 2004. It is clear that they are planning an exit strategy now with these recent closings. I know it's nothing personal, just business. But for folks who have grown up and worked at those centers, it sure does hurt. Fortunately, most of the employees from the closed centers in Dallas have been offered positions at nearby centers. Some aren't able to commute and they will be missed. My overall experience with AMF was positive even though I had a few bumps along the way. To everyone still working at AMF, best of luck to you.

There are newer employer reviews for AMF Bowling