AOL

corp.aol.com

Big Improvement

Current Employee - Director  in  Dulles, VA
Current Employee - Director in Dulles, VA

Pros

Culture has definitely improved - I've seen a positive change in how teams are collaborating
Getting hired here has gotten harder - which was much needed. Starting to see much better talent coming in, which is pushing folks who have been here awhile to step up their game or leave. The business is stronger than it has been in years. Great work/life flexibility and strong support for philanthropy and volunteerism.

Cons

Some employees don't handle the constant changes and shifts well. You have to be extremely adaptable to be happy here. We need to do better job at managing low performers out faster.

Get better at assessing exec talent coming in - especially culturally - you've made some mistakes. Stop worrying about 'selling' the job to someone and focus on whether that person can inspire positive change in the ranks.

Other reviews for AOL

Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager  in  Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Dulles, VA

Pros

I enjoyed my jobs at AOL. Got opportunity to take various roles, co-workers were friendly and helpful.

Cons

Constant layoffs impacted morale of employees.

Great place to work, with one HUGE drawback

Former Employee - Senior Producer  in  Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Producer in Dulles, VA

Pros

I worked in the Dulles, VA offices until 2006 and *really* enjoyed working there. The vast majority of people I interacted with were friendly and were very open to ideas. Good benefits. Fun work environment where the staff cared about the products they made. Very family-friendly and the campus was a very good facility.

Cons

Layoffs. Several rounds of layoffs during the 2-3 years I was there. This made it difficult to have a sense of security and never allowed me to truly settle into the work I was doing. There is no worse feeling than walking into work each day, expecting that bad news was just around the corner or that you may lose your job that day. I couldn't convince my wife to move up because of this. Finally, I had enough and returned to her.

If there are still several rounds of layoffs each year, ask yourselves why would anyone want to work in an environment like that? Your employees can be your best asset in determining and executing your company's future. I'd love to work there again. But *only* if I knew there was more security in it. Good luck. Honestly.

There are newer employer reviews for AOL.

Worked for AOL? Contribute to the Community!