AOL

There are newer employer reviews for AOL

Great Memories and Friends Made

Former Employee - General Manager in Dulles, VA
Former Employee - General Manager in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

AOL was in the middle of the Internet boom and so it was a very exciting time to work there. Many VERY smart people chasing disruptive business models and some people (the earlier hires) became very wealthy.

Cons

The culture could be poisonous and, likely due to the possibility of quick riches, attracted people with questionable ethical standards, and some of these people moved up quickly. There was also the tendency to make rash business decisions without really evaluating the market/data, and as a result hundreds of millions of dollars we're blown in the pursuit of really poorly thought-out initiatives.

The pursuit of some type of journalistic, media business model has proven itself to be folly over and over again. Watching a market cap go from +100BN to <2BN should be a clear indication that nobody believes the margins or growth prospects of this model are attractive. There needs to be a refocus on product vs editorial before it's too late.

657 Other Employee Reviews for AOL (View Most Recent)

Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my jobs at AOL. Got opportunity to take various roles, co-workers were friendly and helpful.

Cons

Constant layoffs impacted morale of employees.

Great place to work, with one HUGE drawback

Former Employee - Senior Producer in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Producer in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked in the Dulles, VA offices until 2006 and *really* enjoyed working there. The vast majority of people I interacted with were friendly and were very open to ideas. Good benefits. Fun work environment where the staff cared about the products they made. Very family-friendly and the campus was a very good facility.

Cons

Layoffs. Several rounds of layoffs during the 2-3 years I was there. This made it difficult to have a sense of security and never allowed me to truly settle into the work I was doing. There is no worse feeling than walking into work each day, expecting that bad news was just around the corner or that you may lose your job that day. I couldn't convince my wife to move up because of this. Finally, I had enough and returned to her.

If there are still several rounds of layoffs each year, ask yourselves why would anyone want to work in an environment like that? Your employees can be your best asset in determining and executing your company's future. I'd love to work there again. But *only* if I knew there was more security in it. Good luck. Honestly.

There are newer employer reviews for AOL