There are newer employer reviews for AOL

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager  in  Dulles, VA
Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Dulles, VA

I have been working at AOL full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture: Things have really started to turn around over the last few years with Tim Armstrong. People really seem to work well together and while we still have our challenges ahead, I really feel a culture of winning in the air.
Comp: Compensation is fair and overall better than most companies in the industry/area.
Flexibility: For the most part, we are empowered to do our job where and how we do it best to get the job done.
Transparency: Our leaders have done an admirable job of keeping the masses informed about the state of the business, the current initiatives and challenges without placating. They treat us like adults, imagine that!
Career Growth: The paths to growing your career are many. It's fairly self-directed, but very attainable.

Cons

Change is the only constant. If you can't handle change, look somewhere else. You have to be able to thrive in an environment where you may work on something for months only to have it no longer be part of the strategy. If you can shrug it off and say "what's next", you'll love it, otherwise it can be a challenge.

Be deliberate in your hiring of senior executives and make sure they are culture-appropriate, not just the hot name in the industry. You've proven with some of the mis-hires that that way doesn't work.

635 Other Employee Reviews for AOL (View Most Recent)

Incredibly diverse workforce, a pleasure to work for

Former Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Sterling, VA

I worked at AOL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

competitive salaries and growth opportunities

Cons

new CEO rigidly requires college degree

Be more flexible! This used to be a fabulous company to work for!

Big Improvement

Current Employee - Director  in  Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Dulles, VA

I have been working at AOL full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture has definitely improved - I've seen a positive change in how teams are collaborating
    Getting hired here has gotten harder - which was much needed. Starting to see much better talent coming in, which is pushing folks who have been here awhile to step up their game or leave. The business is stronger than it has been in years. Great work/life flexibility and strong support for philanthropy and volunteerism.

Cons

Some employees don't handle the constant changes and shifts well. You have to be extremely adaptable to be happy here. We need to do better job at managing low performers out faster.

Get better at assessing exec talent coming in - especially culturally - you've made some mistakes. Stop worrying about 'selling' the job to someone and focus on whether that person can inspire positive change in the ranks.

There are newer employer reviews for AOL

Worked for AOL? Contribute to the Community!