Roll of the Dice

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good paying, swank office (Beverly Hills), fun place, covered underground parking, clean restrooms, top of the line equipment, free food, free BEER (yes, you read that right) and free bicycles to ride around the neighborhood on for lunch or dinner

Cons

So the all of the above sounds great, right? Well, trouble in paradise hits when you have constant lack of job security! AOL is kind of a dysfunctional company, constantly trying to re-invent itself. Currently it's under the dominion of Arianna Huffington, who, on a whim, decided she didn't need my branch of the AOL government anymore! And it doesn't help when your left kind of directionless, which is due to poor communication from management. Although the flip-side to that coin might be ok if you don't like someone hovering over your shoulder all the time...

Advice to Management

Talk to people underneath you more often and it won't be so awkward when you check in on them every three weeks!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Bad time for the company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at AOL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free beer and lots of parties.

Cons

Constant layoffs and restructuring. Creating chaos when there is none. No vision.

Advice to Management

In fairness, I was there at a rough time of transition. Most of the management at AOL Advertising has gone. My advice: Put strategic thinkers in management positions. Spend less money on parties and more in budgets. If you need to have layoffs, do them all at once. Multiple rounds of layoffs throughout the year leave people scared for their jobs, often doing what makes them look good rather than what is best for the company.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Dulles, VA

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture: Things have really started to turn around over the last few years with Tim Armstrong. People really seem to work well together and while we still have our challenges ahead, I really feel a culture of winning in the air.
    Comp: Compensation is fair and overall better than most companies in the industry/area.
    Flexibility: For the most part, we are empowered to do our job where and how we do it best to get the job done.
    Transparency: Our leaders have done an admirable job of keeping the masses informed about the state of the business, the current initiatives and challenges without placating. They treat us like adults, imagine that!
    Career Growth: The paths to growing your career are many. It's fairly self-directed, but very attainable.

Cons

Change is the only constant. If you can't handle change, look somewhere else. You have to be able to thrive in an environment where you may work on something for months only to have it no longer be part of the strategy. If you can shrug it off and say "what's next", you'll love it, otherwise it can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Be deliberate in your hiring of senior executives and make sure they are culture-appropriate, not just the hot name in the industry. You've proven with some of the mis-hires that that way doesn't work.