There are newer employer reviews for AOL

Roll of the Dice

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at AOL full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good paying, swank office (Beverly Hills), fun place, covered underground parking, clean restrooms, top of the line equipment, free food, free BEER (yes, you read that right) and free bicycles to ride around the neighborhood on for lunch or dinner

Cons

So the all of the above sounds great, right? Well, trouble in paradise hits when you have constant lack of job security! AOL is kind of a dysfunctional company, constantly trying to re-invent itself. Currently it's under the dominion of Arianna Huffington, who, on a whim, decided she didn't need my branch of the AOL government anymore! And it doesn't help when your left kind of directionless, which is due to poor communication from management. Although the flip-side to that coin might be ok if you don't like someone hovering over your shoulder all the time...

Talk to people underneath you more often and it won't be so awkward when you check in on them every three weeks!

reviews filtered by
  1. Great Memories and Friends Made

Former Employee - General Manager in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

AOL was in the middle of the Internet boom and so it was a very exciting time to work there. Many VERY smart people chasing disruptive business models and some people (the earlier hires) became very wealthy.

Cons

The culture could be poisonous and, likely due to the possibility of quick riches, attracted people with questionable ethical standards, and some of these people moved up quickly. There was also the tendency to make rash business decisions without really evaluating the market/data, and as a result hundreds of millions of dollars we're blown in the pursuit of really poorly thought-out initiatives.

The pursuit of some type of journalistic, media business model has proven itself to be folly over and over again. Watching a market cap go from +100BN to <2BN should be a clear indication that nobody believes the margins or growth prospects of this model are attractive. There needs to be a refocus on product vs editorial before it's too late.

2. Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my jobs at AOL. Got opportunity to take various roles, co-workers were friendly and helpful.

Cons

Constant layoffs impacted morale of employees.

There are newer employer reviews for AOL