There are newer employer reviews for AOL

great team

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at AOL full-time (more than a year)

Pros

telecommuted, flexible, good benefits. I never go the opportunity to visit an actual AOL office my entire term there. so my opinions are strictly from a remote standpoint. I think the company is fairly friendly to telecommuters.

Cons

not much choice in what teams you can move between, but that may have been partly due to telecommuting. I think teams could be more enabled than they are. Several groups seemed very top down and didnt allow teams to figure out the best way to solve problems.

Empower teams, let them innovate, try to not be top down.

reviews filtered by
  1. Glad to have worked there; Glad I left

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at AOL full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Incredibly talented technology team
    -A good feeling of "team" in some places despite being such a large organization
    -Opportunity to work on products and services that are used by a lot of people

Cons

-Large stakeholder groups make it difficult to get things done
    -Multiple layoffs distract from doing real work (it's hard to concentrate when everyone is buzzing with worry)
    -Frequent reorganizations also distract from doing real work (it's hard to concentrate when everyone is trying to figure out new groups and management structures)

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Dulles, VA

I have been working at AOL full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture: Things have really started to turn around over the last few years with Tim Armstrong. People really seem to work well together and while we still have our challenges ahead, I really feel a culture of winning in the air.
    Comp: Compensation is fair and overall better than most companies in the industry/area.
    Flexibility: For the most part, we are empowered to do our job where and how we do it best to get the job done.
    Transparency: Our leaders have done an admirable job of keeping the masses informed about the state of the business, the current initiatives and challenges without placating. They treat us like adults, imagine that!
    Career Growth: The paths to growing your career are many. It's fairly self-directed, but very attainable.

Cons

Change is the only constant. If you can't handle change, look somewhere else. You have to be able to thrive in an environment where you may work on something for months only to have it no longer be part of the strategy. If you can shrug it off and say "what's next", you'll love it, otherwise it can be a challenge.

Be deliberate in your hiring of senior executives and make sure they are culture-appropriate, not just the hot name in the industry. You've proven with some of the mis-hires that that way doesn't work.

There are newer employer reviews for AOL