AOL

corp.aol.com

Terrible place to work for talented developers

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsWas a fun place to work for the first few years I worked there, but the ratio of managers to developers became higher and higher over time.

ConsVery "top-heavy" - some projects on which I worked as a senior software engineer had almost 50% management. The management is proficient at political maneuvering but inept at independently making competent decisions. The bureaucracy is so bad, they had to use outside firms to develop new products/software. Owners of these outside companies were often personal friends of those AOL managers which hired them.

Advice to Senior ManagementHint: build products and services that customers not only want but are also willing to pay for. Making money is not a crime.

Another hint: if you put advertisements on it is NOT sufficient reason to for a customer to come to an AOL site.

Overall, the company is very "top-heavy" - some projects on which I worked as a senior software engineer had almost 50% management. The management is proficient at political maneuvering but inept at independently making competent decisions. Everything had to be done by committee ("scrum") - and frequently that committee included neither the people who would pay for the services (i.e. the customers) nor the people who would build the services (i.e., the developers). The bureaucracy is so bad, they had to use outside firms to develop new products/software. Owners of these outside companies were often personal friends of those AOL managers which hired them.

Glad to have worked there; Glad I left

Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

I worked at AOL full-time for more than a year

Pros: -Incredibly talented technology team -A good feeling of "team" in some places despite being such a… Cons: -Large stakeholder groups make it difficult to get things done -Multiple layoffs distract from doing real work (it's hard to concentrate when everyone is buzzing… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Not a great place to work.

Manager (Current Employee) Dulles, VA

I have been working at AOL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Nice people, fun atmosphere, nice office space. Cons: Lack of talented, competent management Advice to Senior Management: Invest in talent No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on AOL.

Worked for AOL? Contribute to the Community!