Incredible atmosphere

Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY
Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at AOL as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

-Excellent social atmosphere -Great perks for employees - free beverages, snacks, multiple company sponsored happy hours and parties, nap rooms, gym, etc. -Hard work is recognized

Cons

-Lots of hiring changes on a regular basis - makes it a bit unpredictable at times -High level of disconnect between the different brands under AOL's wing

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I miss the old company I worked for

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, fun atmosphere, I actually looked forward to coming in to work every day. I loved the opportunities I had to go from one department to another. Hired on as phone tech support for AOL, then had the pleasure of handling AOL TechMail, AOL Registrations (new customers), went over to CompuServe tech support for a little bit, then eventually ended with absolutely loving my job as a member of CAT (Community Action Team). Loved the employee recognition programs and the yearly family fun days. I truly stood behind and still stand behind the AOL brand. To this day I defend its honor.

Cons

I was one of those that were sucked into the illusion that the AOL/Time Warner merger was going to be great for business. However, all too quickly did I find out how aweful of a decision that was. AOL lost it's laid back and fun atmosphere. It removed it's party hat and put on a corporate hat and to this day I feel that was AOL's downfall. This was Senior Management's decision and hold them accountable for what AOL has deminished to today.

Advice to Management

Always remember your employees. In 1998 when I was hired (left in 2002 but wasn't an option in drop down menu), we were the reason AOL made leaps & bounds in the industry. You showed us that you loved us and we returned it ten-fold by becoming the most loyal employees bragging about the brand, the company and everything it entailed. Don't lose sight of where you came from and take a moment to reflect. With much love still, I wish you the best and would work for AOL again in a heartbeat !

2. Innovative and fast paced. Lacks in people management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employees are very knowledgeable about their fields. There are many folks with expertise in different areas of technology and research.

Cons

Evaluation of employees are based on how well they market their work to upper management which often leads to unfair and unbalanced reviews and promotions.

Advice to Management

AOL needs to restructure their people management, benefits, and compensation policies.