Intern

Former Intern - Intern in Dulles, VA
Former Intern - Intern in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great Managers who care and have lots of expertise - Lots of resources to learn online through company - Learned a lot from co-workers and managers

Cons

- Felt sometimes my managers were overworked and under-compensated (was the only reason I did not join full-time with company as I didn't want that to be me one day)

Advice to Management

Seems a very top-down approach is still there..... give more power to middle managers/ (jr/sr) project managers since they seem to be the ones doing most of the work.

Other Employee Reviews for AOL

1. Worked in the product organizations

Pros

True technology lead in their heyday

Cons

Top floor not truly focused on strategies that move the business forward.

Advice to Management

Realize you have a great thing and stay focused

I miss the old company I worked for

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, fun atmosphere, I actually looked forward to coming in to work every day. I loved the opportunities I had to go from one department to another. Hired on as phone tech support for AOL, then had the pleasure of handling AOL TechMail, AOL Registrations (new customers), went over to CompuServe tech support for a little bit, then eventually ended with absolutely loving my job as a member of CAT (Community Action Team). Loved the employee recognition programs and the yearly family fun days. I truly stood behind and still stand behind the AOL brand. To this day I defend its honor.

Cons

I was one of those that were sucked into the illusion that the AOL/Time Warner merger was going to be great for business. However, all too quickly did I find out how aweful of a decision that was. AOL lost it's laid back and fun atmosphere. It removed it's party hat and put on a corporate hat and to this day I feel that was AOL's downfall. This was Senior Management's decision and hold them accountable for what AOL has deminished to today.

Advice to Management

Always remember your employees. In 1998 when I was hired (left in 2002 but wasn't an option in drop down menu), we were the reason AOL made leaps & bounds in the industry. You showed us that you loved us and we returned it ten-fold by becoming the most loyal employees bragging about the brand, the company and everything it entailed. Don't lose sight of where you came from and take a moment to reflect. With much love still, I wish you the best and would work for AOL again in a heartbeat !