AOL

corp.aol.com
  corp.aol.com
There are newer employer reviews for AOL

Even those who leave say they'd go back to work for AOL for the right opportunity.

Former Employee - Editorial in Dulles, VA
Former Employee - Editorial in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Creative, high energy environment. Genuine emphasis on helping employees be their best (i.e. lots of un-university courses, socials. Genuine commitment to community (Dulles VA employees by the hundreds helped buy and load enought goods to fill an an 18-wheeler, for Hurricane Sandy ravaged residents in NY/NY. Strong emphasis on being healthy. Great help desk support. Great benefits

Cons

Tremendous turnover in upper management results in break-neck changes in strategies and staff relations. Our group was hot one year and dumped the next.

657 Other Employee Reviews for AOL (View Most Recent)

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Great Managers who care and have lots of expertise
    - Lots of resources to learn online through company
    - Learned a lot from co-workers and managers

Cons

- Felt sometimes my managers were overworked and under-compensated (was the only reason I did not join full-time with company as I didn't want that to be me one day)

Seems a very top-down approach is still there..... give more power to middle managers/ (jr/sr) project managers since they seem to be the ones doing most of the work.

Lack of direction, Too many dinosaurs and Egos

I have been working at AOL full-time

Pros

Great facilities, campus is great. Gym. Lot of state of the art technologies and lots of data to play around with.

Cons

Most people would have been here 10 years or more. In most companies this would validate the employer. Here, it just shows these people are survivors and bitter after surviving all those layoffs. Knowledge transfer is minimal as people dont wanna share too much in case they become less valuable. Also a lot of arrogance comes after surviving dozens of layoffs. Lot of cliques around and its hard to find someone cool and secure enough to mentor and help new employees find their way.

People who dont even have college degrees making it to VP levels is fine (in fact, credit to them though in AOL's case its probably someone who has been there since high school) but when they dont have basic communication skills and manners and strut around with huge egos makes them the worst people to work for. Management, you know who you are.

There are newer employer reviews for AOL