AOL

corp.aol.com
  corp.aol.com
There are newer employer reviews for AOL

Great people, wonky direction.

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Dulles, VA
Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Energetic people, great culture! Free beer!

Cons

Sometimes it seemed the company didn't know which direction it was headed. Yearly layoffs. I finally got the axe after ducking & weaving by moving positions/departments.

Pick a thing and stick to it. If you're going to be a content company, pay the people who create the content! Other than that, quit pushing every link on the main page to HuffPo, it gets tiring to have to go there for every story, political or not.

657 Other Employee Reviews for AOL (View Most Recent)

Even those who leave say they'd go back to work for AOL for the right opportunity.

Former Employee - Editorial in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Editorial in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Creative, high energy environment. Genuine emphasis on helping employees be their best (i.e. lots of un-university courses, socials. Genuine commitment to community (Dulles VA employees by the hundreds helped buy and load enought goods to fill an an 18-wheeler, for Hurricane Sandy ravaged residents in NY/NY. Strong emphasis on being healthy. Great help desk support. Great benefits

Cons

Tremendous turnover in upper management results in break-neck changes in strategies and staff relations. Our group was hot one year and dumped the next.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Great Managers who care and have lots of expertise
    - Lots of resources to learn online through company
    - Learned a lot from co-workers and managers

Cons

- Felt sometimes my managers were overworked and under-compensated (was the only reason I did not join full-time with company as I didn't want that to be me one day)

Seems a very top-down approach is still there..... give more power to middle managers/ (jr/sr) project managers since they seem to be the ones doing most of the work.

There are newer employer reviews for AOL