AOL

corp.aol.com
There are newer employer reviews for AOL

A once great company

I worked at AOL

Pros

Company included many innovative and intelligent people.

Cons

There were continuous rounds of layoffs (one major round of layoffs every 2-3 months). Management was not able to provide direction resulting in low morale within the teams supported. After the merger, AOL and TW continued to operate as two different companies and managers of each company never worked together to build on the capabilities of each team. The company is now a shell of what it used to be.

666 Other Employee Reviews for AOL (View Most Recent)

I miss the old company I worked for

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at AOL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, fun atmosphere, I actually looked forward to coming in to work every day. I loved the opportunities I had to go from one department to another. Hired on as phone tech support for AOL, then had the pleasure of handling AOL TechMail, AOL Registrations (new customers), went over to CompuServe tech support for a little bit, then eventually ended with absolutely loving my job as a member of CAT (Community Action Team). Loved the employee recognition programs and the yearly family fun days. I truly stood behind and still stand behind the AOL brand. To this day I defend its honor.

Cons

I was one of those that were sucked into the illusion that the AOL/Time Warner merger was going to be great for business. However, all too quickly did I find out how aweful of a decision that was. AOL lost it's laid back and fun atmosphere. It removed it's party hat and put on a corporate hat and to this day I feel that was AOL's downfall. This was Senior Management's decision and hold them accountable for what AOL has deminished to today.

Always remember your employees. In 1998 when I was hired (left in 2002 but wasn't an option in drop down menu), we were the reason AOL made leaps & bounds in the industry. You showed us that you loved us and we returned it ten-fold by becoming the most loyal employees bragging about the brand, the company and everything it entailed. Don't lose sight of where you came from and take a moment to reflect. With much love still, I wish you the best and would work for AOL again in a heartbeat !

Incredible atmosphere

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at AOL as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

-Excellent social atmosphere
    -Great perks for employees - free beverages, snacks, multiple company sponsored happy hours and parties, nap rooms, gym, etc.
    -Hard work is recognized

Cons

-Lots of hiring changes on a regular basis - makes it a bit unpredictable at times
    -High level of disconnect between the different brands under AOL's wing

There are newer employer reviews for AOL