AOL

corp.aol.com
There are newer employer reviews for AOL

Lack of direction, Too many dinosaurs and Egos

I have been working at AOL full-time

Pros

Great facilities, campus is great. Gym. Lot of state of the art technologies and lots of data to play around with.

Cons

Most people would have been here 10 years or more. In most companies this would validate the employer. Here, it just shows these people are survivors and bitter after surviving all those layoffs. Knowledge transfer is minimal as people dont wanna share too much in case they become less valuable. Also a lot of arrogance comes after surviving dozens of layoffs. Lot of cliques around and its hard to find someone cool and secure enough to mentor and help new employees find their way.

People who dont even have college degrees making it to VP levels is fine (in fact, credit to them though in AOL's case its probably someone who has been there since high school) but when they dont have basic communication skills and manners and strut around with huge egos makes them the worst people to work for. Management, you know who you are.

680 Other Employee Reviews for AOL (View Most Recent)

A once great company

I worked at AOL

Pros

Company included many innovative and intelligent people.

Cons

There were continuous rounds of layoffs (one major round of layoffs every 2-3 months). Management was not able to provide direction resulting in low morale within the teams supported. After the merger, AOL and TW continued to operate as two different companies and managers of each company never worked together to build on the capabilities of each team. The company is now a shell of what it used to be.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Great Managers who care and have lots of expertise
    - Lots of resources to learn online through company
    - Learned a lot from co-workers and managers

Cons

- Felt sometimes my managers were overworked and under-compensated (was the only reason I did not join full-time with company as I didn't want that to be me one day)

Seems a very top-down approach is still there..... give more power to middle managers/ (jr/sr) project managers since they seem to be the ones doing most of the work.

There are newer employer reviews for AOL