There are newer employer reviews for AOL

Loyalty means nothing and racial discrimination is rampant in recent years

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at AOL full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits. Smart colleagues. Great technology and a chance to learn from some of the best minds in the industry.

Cons

As my title says; I've seen people get laid off without a second thought including smart and loyal people who'd been with the company for over 10 years. Personally, I was with the company for 5+ years and was let go even though my performance showed that I was above average performer. The team I worked for had very few non-white considering the team was 60+ people and you could count the minorities on the finger of one hand and none of them in leadership position. The specific team I was working for only had 2 people laid off in a 3 year span and both were colored.

Since the past 3 years, I've seen more and more of the lay-offs included people of color. Don't get me wrong, there are still colored people in the company but if you could get hands on pre-2008 data and post 2011-12 data you would see the clear evidence of what I'm saying. If this post is flagged and not posted, I'll be disappointed.

631 Other Employee Reviews for AOL (View Most Recent)

Lack of direction, Too many dinosaurs and Egos

I have been working at AOL full-time

Pros

Great facilities, campus is great. Gym. Lot of state of the art technologies and lots of data to play around with.

Cons

Most people would have been here 10 years or more. In most companies this would validate the employer. Here, it just shows these people are survivors and bitter after surviving all those layoffs. Knowledge transfer is minimal as people dont wanna share too much in case they become less valuable. Also a lot of arrogance comes after surviving dozens of layoffs. Lot of cliques around and its hard to find someone cool and secure enough to mentor and help new employees find their way.

People who dont even have college degrees making it to VP levels is fine (in fact, credit to them though in AOL's case its probably someone who has been there since high school) but when they dont have basic communication skills and manners and strut around with huge egos makes them the worst people to work for. Management, you know who you are.

I loved working at AOL

I worked at AOL full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture and the people are great at AOL. The teams are very collaborative and you really feel like you are a part of a company that wants to win. They support a flexible work schedule and let you come in and do your job with out the micro management that you find at so many companies. They also sell almost every type of digital advertising from display, text ads, search, local and those can vary from performance based campaigns, branding, re-targeting, behavioral, geo-targeted, etc. so each client has a custom plan based on their needs.

Cons

The only con I can think of is their training program for new hires could be more robust.

There are newer employer reviews for AOL

Worked for AOL? Contribute to the Community!