AOL

Herding Kittens

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AOL

Pros

AOL offered very fair, if not superior compensation. The people I worked with were great, and clearly represented some of the best minds in the industry. The expectations given in terms of workload were entirely reasonable, and allowed me to find a great balance of work/personal life. AOL offered a superior benefits package that included vision and dental. In addition, working at AOL provided me with lots of opportunities for professional development.

Cons

You are ultimately working for the people who bring the internet to our grandparents, and whom still have not found their new identity in the DSL and Cable connected internet world.

Dear Management of AOL,

I know that you are riding an ever aging dinosaur, and trying to figure out how to best monetize it before it dies. Be nimble. Change with times. Maybe, just maybe, there might still be some life in that old dinosaur.

664 Other Employee Reviews for AOL (View Most Recent)

Loved my group, hated the company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL

Pros

Worked with a diverse group of very cool and talented people. The campus, at the time, was really nice. It was nice to tell people where you worked and have literally everyone actually recognize the name.

Cons

Being in constant fear for your job because of the annual layoffs. Lack of clear leadership at the executive level. Poor morale.

I don't know that it was lack of trying, lack of experience, lack of good ideas or what. But after Jon Miller left, things got worse and worse. Management needs to be top shelf talent, smarter than anyone else out there.

A New Hope

Current Employee - AOL Systems Architect
    Current Employee - AOL Systems Architect

I have been working at AOL

Pros

The prospects of spinning off from Time Warner and the new growth-focused leadership makes AOL a good place to be at this time.

Cons

AOL has been in a slow and steady decline since acquiring Netscape, Inc. in 1999. Its been almost ten years since that acquisition and seven since it merged with Time Warner. Reversing this trend will require the dedication and will power of everyone at the company. Given all that declining history, is AOL really in a position to turn this around (resources, minds, good will) and is the market able to support a growing AOL?

Invest in internal people and ideas. I cannot stress enough how destructive it has been to invest in other companies and outside vendors when existing divisions could have used a fraction of that capital in order to produce a better product and improve our very own core competencies.

There are newer employer reviews for AOL