great company

Current Employee - Senior Advertising Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Senior Advertising Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay, culture, and environment. Great place to work and great people to work with. I would recommend this company to anyone looking for a great long term career

Cons

I have never had any bad experience working for AOL. The hours and vacation time are reasonable and there is little nonsense.

Advice to Management

none

Other Employee Reviews for AOL

Almost anywhere else - I quit in disgust in 2007

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

During my tenure at AOL I worked with some of the most talented engineers in the world. Given the level of mismanagement, the blatant and pervasive disregard for work-life balance and the level of job insecurity it is hard to understand why AOL was able to attract such talent.

Cons

They own you. While I was there, engineers routinely put in 60+ hours a week, and not because they were "passionate" about the work. Management is driven by panic, company focus changes constantly. The threat and fear of layoffs is constant and pervasive. A few years ago the company invited past and present employees to a celebration at the headquarters - I was besieged by old colleagues of mine wanting to know where I'd gone and was my current employer hiring.

Advice to Management

Stop abusing your employees. Get a grip on market forces and develop a valid strategy to confront the company's decline. Stop managing by reign of terror - I saw employees given achievement awards one month only to be laid off the next. Stop this.

2. Sr Product Manager

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting work, easy to move around from group to group, great people

Cons

Your experience depends greatly on which group you work for and what kind of turmoil the company is going through. Lay offs twice a year, every year.