There are newer employer reviews for AOL

A Great Place to Work

I worked at AOL full-time

Pros

The best thing about AOL is the employees, who are brilliant and congenial. The facilities in the various buildings and locations are great, the benefits are fantastic, and it's a good place to learn about a variety of technologies, products and services. There is a deep knowledge of the industry still vested in the many employees that have been there for more than a decade.

Cons

AOL keeps reinventing itself. In many ways this is a good thing, because it is adapting itself to the realities of the current industry.

Advice to Management

Keep refining AOL's vision, focus on what AOL does best.

reviews filtered by

Talented people with incompetent Senior Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I have been working at AOL full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for AOL for over 10 years before they finally did layoffs in my team. In that time I met some of the best engineering talent around. Given the right direction these people can build anything, and can scale bigger than anyone.

Cons

I lost track of how many projects I've built that withered on the vine. Its not that there is no direction, its that strategy and direction change constantly. It had gotten a little better once Brad Garlinghouse left, but most engineers are frustrated because they're shooting at moving targets with too few resources (the layoffs have cut too deeply).

Another con: there is very little room for advancement. Management has laid off too many people to get the work done, so every team is short-handed, and managers who make an issue of this are seen as ineffective and part of the problem. Management has no perception of what it takes to develop products.

Advice to Management

Stick with a plan, for God's sake. Hire enough people to get the job done. Your mid-level managers are now afraid to ask for help when they are understaffed because of the culture you've built.

Bro's club

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at AOL full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Depending on the group you're in you may have more or less management breathing down your neck. It is easy to move around the company once you know where to look.

Cons

The senior management really don't care much about the company except, for each for their own piece. So many projects and so few project owners make it easy to slip by, but difficult to accomplish much of anything. Frustrating.

Advice to Management

A bit of sincerity and humility would go a long way to keeping your employees happy and motivated.

There are newer employer reviews for AOL