AOL

corp.aol.com
  corp.aol.com
There are newer employer reviews for AOL

Still a great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dulles, VA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dulles, VA

I have been working at AOL

Pros

AOL's air of informality and the people are what make me want to come to work every day. There is a lot of talent at this place, despite what the media would lead you to believe. Management also truly supports the idea of work/life balance. You are allowed to do your work when and from where you need to do it. With the spinoff from Time Warner and the new leadership, there is real opportunity to turn this ship around and to be part of something exciting, if you are willing to take the risk.

Cons

The constant threat of layoffs can wear even the most optimistic person down. Ongoing changes in company direction and leadership make it difficult to get any traction and seem excessive, even in a technology-based company. Employees feel a bit like they've been in an abusive relationship for the last few years. You don't want to draw attention to yourself or take a risk for fear of putting a layoff target on your back.

The new leadership brings hope and optimism. Please be patient with employees. We have been abused for a few years and need some gentle coaxing to bring us out of our shells. Our innovative nature is still there -- just dormant but by no means dead. Help us build trust with you and we'll help you knock it outta the park!

666 Other Employee Reviews for AOL (View Most Recent)

Compelling Place To Work Until The Layoff

Former Employee - Programming Manager
    Former Employee - Programming Manager

I worked at AOL

Pros

AOL was a compelling and fun place to work until budget cuts and changes in programming forced "Community" out of the business and we were replaced by ad revenue.

Cons

Focus on member experience was replaced by the value of the amighty dollar. The industry became too competitive and AOL just couldn't keep up...

Go back to the grass roots thinking that built America Online - Today, you're just another place to grab email. :(

No support for advancing your career at AOL

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AOL

Pros

Smart minds around and good accounts to work with.

Cons

Dysfunctional leadership. Managers don't make decisive decisions across functional groups. All they do is reshuffle orgs.

Challenge your subordinates and let them grow outside your position

There are newer employer reviews for AOL