AOL

corp.aol.com

Talented people with incompetent Senior Management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dulles, VA

ProsI worked for AOL for over 10 years before they finally did layoffs in my team. In that time I met some of the best engineering talent around. Given the right direction these people can build anything, and can scale bigger than anyone.

ConsI lost track of how many projects I've built that withered on the vine. Its not that there is no direction, its that strategy and direction change constantly. It had gotten a little better once Brad Garlinghouse left, but most engineers are frustrated because they're shooting at moving targets with too few resources (the layoffs have cut too deeply).

Another con: there is very little room for advancement. Management has laid off too many people to get the work done, so every team is short-handed, and managers who make an issue of this are seen as ineffective and part of the problem. Management has no perception of what it takes to develop products.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with a plan, for God's sake. Hire enough people to get the job done. Your mid-level managers are now afraid to ask for help when they are understaffed because of the culture you've built.

A Contractor that watched poor choices many times

Product Manager (Former Employee) Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: Some good people there and good pay as a contractor.… Cons: Lots of changes in direction and overall poor choices like the commitment to Patch. Due to poor choices regarding what to fund I saw many… Advice to Senior Management: Hint: Listen to your customers. When I was there I looked in to a customer feedback link for CORE services only to find out… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

AOL

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AOL full-time

Pros: Good pay, benefits and compensation Cons: Limited growth opportunities for certain employees No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on AOL.

Worked for AOL? Contribute to the Community!