There are newer employer reviews for AOL

Talented people with incompetent Senior Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dulles, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I have been working at AOL full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked for AOL for over 10 years before they finally did layoffs in my team. In that time I met some of the best engineering talent around. Given the right direction these people can build anything, and can scale bigger than anyone.

Cons

I lost track of how many projects I've built that withered on the vine. Its not that there is no direction, its that strategy and direction change constantly. It had gotten a little better once Brad Garlinghouse left, but most engineers are frustrated because they're shooting at moving targets with too few resources (the layoffs have cut too deeply).

Another con: there is very little room for advancement. Management has laid off too many people to get the work done, so every team is short-handed, and managers who make an issue of this are seen as ineffective and part of the problem. Management has no perception of what it takes to develop products.

Stick with a plan, for God's sake. Hire enough people to get the job done. Your mid-level managers are now afraid to ask for help when they are understaffed because of the culture you've built.

627 Other Employee Reviews for AOL (View Most Recent)

Bro's club

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at AOL full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits. Depending on the group you're in you may have more or less management breathing down your neck. It is easy to move around the company once you know where to look.

Cons

The senior management really don't care much about the company except, for each for their own piece. So many projects and so few project owners make it easy to slip by, but difficult to accomplish much of anything. Frustrating.

A bit of sincerity and humility would go a long way to keeping your employees happy and motivated.

Interesting, leading edge

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager  in  Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Leading edge of new media

Cons

Poor direction and market segmentation

Focus

There are newer employer reviews for AOL

Worked for AOL? Contribute to the Community!