Talented people with incompetent Senior Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for AOL for over 10 years before they finally did layoffs in my team. In that time I met some of the best engineering talent around. Given the right direction these people can build anything, and can scale bigger than anyone.

Cons

I lost track of how many projects I've built that withered on the vine. Its not that there is no direction, its that strategy and direction change constantly. It had gotten a little better once Brad Garlinghouse left, but most engineers are frustrated because they're shooting at moving targets with too few resources (the layoffs have cut too deeply). Another con: there is very little room for advancement. Management has laid off too many people to get the work done, so every team is short-handed, and managers who make an issue of this are seen as ineffective and part of the problem. Management has no perception of what it takes to develop products.

Advice to Management

Stick with a plan, for God's sake. Hire enough people to get the job done. Your mid-level managers are now afraid to ask for help when they are understaffed because of the culture you've built.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Creaky infrastructure

I have been working at AOL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great goals - they keep trying to get back on top; non-profit connections for employees

Cons

need to re-shape from the inside out. Poor infrastructure keeps them from capitalizing on the acquisitions.

Advice to Management

Toss old equipment stacked up in a warehouse instead of passing it around to employees who need *new* machines. Gut all the intra-websites and security and get a new, smart system in place. Loose the FAX requests and desk phones.

2. A Great Place to Work

I worked at AOL full-time

Pros

The best thing about AOL is the employees, who are brilliant and congenial. The facilities in the various buildings and locations are great, the benefits are fantastic, and it's a good place to learn about a variety of technologies, products and services. There is a deep knowledge of the industry still vested in the many employees that have been there for more than a decade.

Cons

AOL keeps reinventing itself. In many ways this is a good thing, because it is adapting itself to the realities of the current industry.

Advice to Management

Keep refining AOL's vision, focus on what AOL does best.