AOL
aol-careers.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Talented people with incompetent Senior Management

I have been working at AOL full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI worked for AOL for over 10 years before they finally did layoffs in my team. In that time I met some of the best engineering talent around. Given the right direction these people can build anything, and can scale bigger than anyone.

ConsI lost track of how many projects I've built that withered on the vine. Its not that there is no direction, its that strategy and direction change constantly. It had gotten a little better once Brad Garlinghouse left, but most engineers are frustrated because they're shooting at moving targets with too few resources (the layoffs have cut too deeply).

Another con: there is very little room for advancement. Management has laid off too many people to get the work done, so every team is short-handed, and managers who make an issue of this are seen as ineffective and part of the problem. Management has no perception of what it takes to develop products.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with a plan, for God's sake. Hire enough people to get the job done. Your mid-level managers are now afraid to ask for help when they are understaffed because of the culture you've built.

Interesting, leading edge

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at AOL full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Leading edge of new media Cons: Poor direction and market segmentation Advice to Senior Management: Focus Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Good for Internships, not so for fulltime

Intern (Former Employee)
Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time for less than a year

Pros: Cool work place, Great people who are immensely talented. It is a great experience to work for AOL as the people here can teach you… Cons: Very aggressive work environment, No scope for growth. The company is going… Advice to Senior Management: Hire more young talent and rotate people within company more. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on AOL.

Worked for AOL? Contribute to the Community!

AOL – Why Work for Us?

AOL consumers were shopping, chatting, getting news and information and playing multi-user games online at the dawn of the internet. We were the cornerstone of social media long before anyone knew what a social network… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AOL reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AOL CEO Tim Armstrong. All reviews posted anonymously by AOL employees.