corp.aol.com
There are newer employer reviews for AOL

Talented people with incompetent Senior Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I have been working at AOL full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for AOL for over 10 years before they finally did layoffs in my team. In that time I met some of the best engineering talent around. Given the right direction these people can build anything, and can scale bigger than anyone.

Cons

I lost track of how many projects I've built that withered on the vine. Its not that there is no direction, its that strategy and direction change constantly. It had gotten a little better once Brad Garlinghouse left, but most engineers are frustrated because they're shooting at moving targets with too few resources (the layoffs have cut too deeply).

Another con: there is very little room for advancement. Management has laid off too many people to get the work done, so every team is short-handed, and managers who make an issue of this are seen as ineffective and part of the problem. Management has no perception of what it takes to develop products.

Stick with a plan, for God's sake. Hire enough people to get the job done. Your mid-level managers are now afraid to ask for help when they are understaffed because of the culture you've built.

659 Other Employee Reviews for AOL (View Most Recent)

A Contractor that watched poor choices many times

Former Employee - Product Manager in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Some good people there and good pay as a contractor. It was also rather flexible and relaxed in the office.

Cons

Lots of changes in direction and overall poor choices like the commitment to Patch. Due to poor choices regarding what to fund I saw many people get laid off, some of which were there for many years and had tons of knowledge that was essential to the workings of AOL systems.

Hint: Listen to your customers. When I was there I looked in to a customer feedback link for CORE services only to find out that #1 it was broken, #2 nobody was reading the feedback and #3 nobody had any power to respond or react to the feedback.

I worked at AOL full-time

Pros

Good pay, benefits and compensation

Cons

Limited growth opportunities for certain employees

There are newer employer reviews for AOL