Creaky infrastructure

I have been working at AOL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great goals - they keep trying to get back on top; non-profit connections for employees

Cons

need to re-shape from the inside out. Poor infrastructure keeps them from capitalizing on the acquisitions.

Advice to Management

Toss old equipment stacked up in a warehouse instead of passing it around to employees who need *new* machines. Gut all the intra-websites and security and get a new, smart system in place. Loose the FAX requests and desk phones.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A family friendly company that is a perfect balance for my lifestage at this moment."

Current Employee - Director in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at AOL full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family friendly, general pervasiveness of work-life balance attitude, collaborative & optimistic culture (within the Beverly Hills office), dog friendly (within the Beverly Hills office), VP level executives appear approachable and collaborative, awesome original/premium written & video content for a digital/tech company, pioneer of programmatic revolution.

Cons

Brands (aka, Huffington Post, Patch) work very separately from corporate AOL including with product management/business operations/most important decisions, sellers rely on specialists too much which makes every sale very expensive and keeps sellers' knowledge relatively poor of company's products, consumer experiences are not reaching scale successfully, mobile consumer experiences are not invested in enough, decision making is vague and ambiguous, direction of AOL corporate is not clear, horrible external corporate branding is not getting fixed so consumer perception of AOL brand is still poor, politics with industry personality corporate leaders, talent/skill varies widely (not an exceptional standard throughout the company)

Advice to Management

I get the big bets on programmatic. But we also need to make some bets on consumer experience with some refreshed talent on a corporate level (bigger level than just within a brand). Maybe some acquisitions in our near future? Also, product need some time to breathe and cultivate with resources dedicated to them if they were allowed to initiate. We'll never create anything good if we don't allow it to grow.

2. Interesting, leading edge

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Dulles, VA

I worked at AOL full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Leading edge of new media

Cons

Poor direction and market segmentation

Advice to Management

Focus