AOL

corp.aol.com

A Contractor that watched poor choices many times

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Dulles, VA
Former Employee - Product Manager in Dulles, VA

Pros

Some good people there and good pay as a contractor. It was also rather flexible and relaxed in the office.

Cons

Lots of changes in direction and overall poor choices like the commitment to Patch. Due to poor choices regarding what to fund I saw many people get laid off, some of which were there for many years and had tons of knowledge that was essential to the workings of AOL systems.

Hint: Listen to your customers. When I was there I looked in to a customer feedback link for CORE services only to find out that #1 it was broken, #2 nobody was reading the feedback and #3 nobody had any power to respond or react to the feedback.

Other reviews for AOL

AOL

Pros

Good pay, benefits and compensation

Cons

Limited growth opportunities for certain employees

A family friendly company that is a perfect balance for my lifestage at this moment."

Current Employee - Director  in  Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

Family friendly, general pervasiveness of work-life balance attitude, collaborative & optimistic culture (within the Beverly Hills office), dog friendly (within the Beverly Hills office), VP level executives appear approachable and collaborative, awesome original/premium written & video content for a digital/tech company, pioneer of programmatic revolution.

Cons

Brands (aka, Huffington Post, Patch) work very separately from corporate AOL including with product management/business operations/most important decisions, sellers rely on specialists too much which makes every sale very expensive and keeps sellers' knowledge relatively poor of company's products, consumer experiences are not reaching scale successfully, mobile consumer experiences are not invested in enough, decision making is vague and ambiguous, direction of AOL corporate is not clear, horrible external corporate branding is not getting fixed so consumer perception of AOL brand is still poor, politics with industry personality corporate leaders, talent/skill varies widely (not an exceptional standard throughout the company)

I get the big bets on programmatic. But we also need to make some bets on consumer experience with some refreshed talent on a corporate level (bigger level than just within a brand). Maybe some acquisitions in our near future? Also, product need some time to breathe and cultivate with resources dedicated to them if they were allowed to initiate. We'll never create anything good if we don't allow it to grow.

There are newer employer reviews for AOL.

Worked for AOL? Contribute to the Community!