Amazing Worklife Balance - Low Change of Progression

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Dulles, VA
Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Dulles, VA

I have been working at AOL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AOL is a great place to work if you have a family or want to be able to have a life outside of work. Everyone is very casual, there is no dress code and the hours are generally very good. Management has a focus on employee happiness and everyone is very understanding of priorities and responsibilities outside of the workplace.

Cons

There are a lot of lay-offs at the company due to Management's strategy to continuously cut costs. There isn't much room for upward mobility because of the cost savings strategy and there is limited company growth. Many talented people leave because they will only be promoted if the boss leaves or dies, which rarely happens.

Other Employee Reviews for AOL

1. Great Summer Internship

Former Intern - Business Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Business Intern in New York, NY

I worked at AOL as an intern

Pros

Great pay, great environment in the office, a lot of responsibilities given to interns

Cons

A lot of work but definitely worth it!

No work life balance, bureaucratic policies

Former Employee - Finance
    Former Employee - Finance

I worked at AOL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, free beverages, nice office space.

Cons

Despite being on the list of great work/life balance companies, many in my group find this hard to actually believe. I guess it depends on who your team ultimately reports to. Many in our team work late every night. There is no respect for family time. There's an urgency to each and every little thing. My manager was poorly trained and she treated her employees poorly including demeaning behavior and just plain unprofessional especially under stress. The monthly financial process is a nightmare with ten thousand people from all over the world involved in the process.

Advice to Management

Enforce your work life balance reputation to every department. Some of us have families to care for after we leave work. Put together some streamlined processes. Make reporting more transparent. You are a public company, after all.