There are newer employer reviews for AOL

Great environment for self starters

I worked at AOL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a great place for growing and championing new ideas. The teams I worked on were highly collaborative, and the people I worked with were brilliant.

Cons

Too many of the legacy employees (those there pre-2000), were entrenched in old-school thinking and were more interested in playing politics in-order to "avoid rocking the boat."

You're current strategy will work in the short-term, but your reliance on display advertising will ultimately be your undoing.

reviews filtered by

Definitely has sound parts of the company, but still feels like it is just trying to stay afloat

I have been working at AOL full-time

Pros

The company benefits, the flexible hours, and the opportunity to work remotely are definitely perks. Plus, there are some sharp and talented people still with the company. Lastly, the company does try to provide some interesting events to break up the workday.

Cons

The politics from the senior leadership severely affect projects and product strategies, sometimes without any sound reason. A couple of them do not appear to have the experience or skills to actually lead their team.

Don't do it

I worked at AOL

Pros

It may be bought out by Yahoo!
    Free snacks and drinks
    HuffPo brand saves the company

Cons

Unhappy workers, old strategies, understaffed. Very poor social program. They give up on new ideas far too easily. I was there less than half of a year because they threw up their hands and gave up. Another "restructure". Knew-jerk reactions are not a great way to run a company or revive AOL.com.

Decide on something and stick with it. Be clearer on goals and when launching something, go big externally versus promoting in-house. Learn how to use social media to increase user base. 10 million isn't as big of a number as you think.

There are newer employer reviews for AOL