AQR Capital Management

www.aqr.com
  www.aqr.com
There are newer employer reviews for AQR Capital Management

Great place

I have been working at AQR Capital Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

nice and intelligent people
dynamic environment
opportunity to succeed for truly exceptional talent

Cons

a lot of pressure
very competitive people
no future growth if you are not a top performer

27 Other Employee Reviews for AQR Capital Management (View Most Recent)

average all around

Current Employee - Fosd Junior Software Analyst in Greenwich, CT
    Current Employee - Fosd Junior Software Analyst in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at AQR Capital Management part-time (more than an year)

Pros

successful firm
    well respected
    compensations pretty poor. not a real hedge fund. mostly long only

Cons

office culture bad
    training is really good for my entry level but then went away almost completely and i became total isolated

no advice

Great work environment, with some growing pains

Current Employee - Associate in Greenwich, CT
    Current Employee - Associate in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at AQR Capital Management full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are great - the office is very academic and collaborative and people are always willing to discuss anything with you. Also, you never get the feeling that the person above you doesn't deserve to be there - this is definitely the smartest group of people I've ever worked with. The company is growing rapidly (more than 2x employees, 3x AUM since I joined ~3 years ago), which creates interesting positions and opportunities - I was recently able to switch within front office to a more desirable (for me) role, which would not have necessarily been possible a few years ago. Fantastic benefits as well. Hours aren't too bad - I almost never have to work weekends, and stay late when I feel I need to in order to finish projects, not because of arbitrary deadlines.

Cons

With rapid growth comes growing pains - management has gotten larger and there are more layers of people providing input into decisions, which can slow down the research process. Also as AUM has grown so rapidly, the problems facing the firm (and that are highest priority) have changed significantly, so there is not as much of a focus on new "alpha" research as maybe 5, 10 years ago, though there is still a lot of this. Many of our current problems are interesting but of a slightly different flavor.

AQR historically had a pretty flat structure, which realistically isn't feasible anymore. But we need to find the right balance of controls / management and flexibility. Also, keeping less tenured employees more aware of potential career paths would be useful for them, as it can be hard at first to understand your place and trajectory within the organization

There are newer employer reviews for AQR Capital Management