ARAMARK

www.aramark.com
  www.aramark.com
There are newer employer reviews for ARAMARK

Bartender worked at Aramark catered sports arena.

Current Employee - Bartender in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Bartender in Austin, TX

I have been working at ARAMARK part-time (less than an year)

Pros

+ Didn't have to stay out too late for a bartending gig. Usually home before 12pm-1am.
+ Not a lot of silly extra chores you need to do at most places. You go in, set up, work, clean, count your money, and go home.
+ When events are crowded the tips are very good. You can easily break $40/hr.
+ Employees work as a team most of the time, people help each other get the job done.
+ Pick the shifts you work.

Cons

- Since most of your co-workers are part-time/seasonal, a non-negligible amount of your co-workers will be taking their job very lightly. This can become frustrating when you are relying on having those folks there to help you.
- The supervisors try to respect your time, but sometimes at slow events you'll be kept on for the entire event and only make a couple bucks in tips.
- The high-earning bars are always monopolized by more senior employees. It is very hard to get shifts in the best locations as a newer employee.

Don't allow lazy employees to hold better shifts hostage. It makes the responsible, loyal employees feel naive for respecting their company.

On a couple of occasions I was bumped down to a lower-earning bar, but not until I showed up for my shift. I was always told that it was becasue "we want to try 'x' person at a new bar" or "the folks at 'y' bar really like you and you do the best job there", but in actuality, it was because someone who had a worse shift than me was refusing to take it at the last moment. Or because someone called out and they couldn't get someone to fill the "call-outs" spot, so they would give them mine and bump me down when I had arrived.

I liked all my managers and I didn't want to let them down, so I would suck it up and take the lesser shifts. After this happened twice I spoke about it to my supervisors/managers. Even though they didn't really acknowledge why it was happening, they never did it to me again. All I really needed to do was express my discontent and it made a difference, which is a sign of considerate and thoughtful management, but I don't think it should have been an issue in the first place.

However, in all fairness, the supervisors/managers might have been responding to the requests of more senior bartenders to work with different personel. I never got the feeling like the more senior bartenders didn't want to work with me, but I may have just missed the signs.

734 Other Employee Reviews for ARAMARK (View Most Recent)

Good company, not a great place for marketing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at ARAMARK full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High integrity, industry leadership, opportunity to work with some really cool events & clients(Olympics, sports & entertainment, campuses, leading businesses, etc.). Very steady (if not dramatic) growth history.

Cons

Not very strategic or forward thinking, very focused on the middle of the P&L, struggling to become more consumer focused, low margins shape mindset. Really tough place for anyone with a background in consumer marketing because they lack the discipline of analyzing consumer insights & making that the primary filter for decision making. They don't invest in decent information systems to support their demand for results reporting.

Long time employee; great company to work for

Current Employee - Food Service Director in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Food Service Director in Richmond, VA

I have been working at ARAMARK full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to learn various aspects of contract management; opportunity to work in different lines of business

Cons

contract management opportunities can be limited by client base

There are newer employer reviews for ARAMARK