There are newer employer reviews for ARCADIS US

I was very happy with my year at ARCADIS

Former Employee - Geologist in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Geologist in Chicago, IL

I worked at ARCADIS US

Pros

Arcadis' management actively promotes engagement with colleagues both within your home office and throughout the company. The compensation is in line with similar companies. Middle management is good at honestly assessing employee strengths and weaknesses and helps to improve weaknesses and capitalize upon employee strengths.

Cons

Compensation for some positions is a little lower than the average for the industry. Personal time off for entry level positions is only two weeks, which isn't much at all.

Support middle management in their efforts to continue to evaluate the performance of employees in entry level positions. This feedback was consistently very good and made entry level employees feel as if they were part of something bigger than themselves and that their contributions were worthwhile.

reviews filtered by

Your Experience Depends Largely on Office Location and Work Group

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at ARCADIS US

Pros

- "Opportunities" to work across the country and around the world
    - Competitive employee benefits and stock purchase options
    - Many work groups are very supportive and recognize employee achievements. I'm tying this into my biggest CON of the company, as well, since not all work groups are supportive or have good, strong leaders. Those offices and groups that have strong leaders who understand the importance of employee morale, team spirit, recognition, opportunity for "unnecessary" learning (i.e., pertaining to your job, but not mandated) or opportunity for professional growth are excellent places to work and I would recommend these offices/groups to anyone.

Cons

- NOT ALL WORK GROUPS ARE CREATED EQUAL; Some work groups are supportive and realize that professional development, recognition, and collaboration are important. These groups may have pizza parties and cake for employees celebrating a milestone with the company. Other groups do not exhibit such proven leadership nor recognize the importance of employee morale with respect to employee retention. Management needs to realize that there is a reason why certain work groups have higher turnover rates than others. Until management does something to change this lack of leadership will continue to breed discontent and loss of talented employees.
    - Salaries are VERY dependent on work group, operating manager, and office location. Even within a single office, an engineer with 3-5yrs experience can earn a base salary <$1k higher than an entry-level engineer with 0yrs experience.
    - The company seems to acquire or merge with another company every year in order to show clients that it is "growing" and "responding" to the global market. Well, that's great except that these mergers continue to provide greater salary discrepancies among employees in the same grade and experience level and the shrinking IT department cannot keep up with merging all of the communications systems.

Management has recognized the turnover rates of certain offices or work groups and have responded with additional training along with the "opportunity" for supervisors and managers who do not want such positions to step down and focus their energies on more technical tasks. I see this as a step forward. However, two other areas of major discontent are lack of bonuses for performance (it is really "who you know"), lack of promotion based on knowledge/aptitude/experience (if you are not a squeaky wheel, you are left in the mud and walked over). Again, I think that these issues are more on a local/regional organizational level and I think that the COMPANY has a lot to offer as long as you are connected to the right people.

2. Old scientist attempting to be progressive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at ARCADIS US

Pros

Opportunity for career moves within the organization.
    Interesting project work.
    Career progress is self-determined.
    Numerous office locations.
    CEO listens.

Cons

Slow to utilize new technology.
    Senior management bogged in stale mentality.
    Tiny budgets, oppressively high billable goals.
    Missing international communication.

Foster innovative concepts, practices.
    Thin out middle management.
    Pick an organizational structure and stay.
    More channels to the global firm.

There are newer employer reviews for ARCADIS US