There are newer employer reviews for ASDA

7 years working nightshift on fresh/chilled department

Former Employee - Chilled Night Colleague in Nottingham, England (UK)
Former Employee - Chilled Night Colleague in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy work for a good wage, much less customers during the night shift and so more time to do work, very flexible with my hours and lots of overtime available.

Cons

No increase in pay for overtime, I worked 10pm-6am and if you work after 6am then instead of pay increasing for overtime it decreases to daytime rate.

If you are working a 'night shift', then employees should get paid night rate for the length of time they stay i.e. at least get night rate if they stay after 6am. More people would be willing to stay to help out or gets jobs finished properly instead of clocking out 6am on the dot.

264 Other Employee Reviews for ASDA (View Most Recent)

Lack of organisational structure and companies three main principles are just words

I have been working at ASDA part-time

Pros

The people you work with all stick together as everyone is in the same boat. The pay per hour is more competitive than other retail jobs

Cons

In the store that I work in there is little sign of ASDA's so called three main principles, the main one that seems to have got lost in translation is respect for the individual. The store that I work in has a more autocratic leadership style, meaning that nearly all levels of management pass down jobs which need to be carried out, although I am aware that this is what managers are expected to do, there is no motivational aspects to their leadership. Employees are constantly watched by management who seem completely unaware of how hard each employee works. There is almost no organisation within the store that I work, holiday forms are given back up to a month late and no explanation as to why the holiday has been declined. Whilst on my probation I was given one 5 minute review when I was meant to have one per week. The night managers are constantly swearing at each other or employees (who swear back, i would as well) I know the job must be stressful but there is more to being a manager than passing down jobs which need to be completed, a little guidance would be nice.

I think top management should have more involvement with staff at all levels, they need to make sure that employees know their job role and put more focus on guidance, training and development. Rather than managers just walking past and looking to see how much work the employee has done, it might be nice for them to engage in a short conversation, asking how the day has been and asking if there are any problems.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Buyer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Buyer in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at ASDA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to progress

Cons

Long hours. Salaries not the best in the market

Review base salaries