ASDA
www.asda.co.uk Leeds, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Lack of organisational structure and companies three main principles are just words

I have been working at ASDA part-time

ProsThe people you work with all stick together as everyone is in the same boat. The pay per hour is more competitive than other retail jobs

ConsIn the store that I work in there is little sign of ASDA's so called three main principles, the main one that seems to have got lost in translation is respect for the individual. The store that I work in has a more autocratic leadership style, meaning that nearly all levels of management pass down jobs which need to be carried out, although I am aware that this is what managers are expected to do, there is no motivational aspects to their leadership. Employees are constantly watched by management who seem completely unaware of how hard each employee works. There is almost no organisation within the store that I work, holiday forms are given back up to a month late and no explanation as to why the holiday has been declined. Whilst on my probation I was given one 5 minute review when I was meant to have one per week. The night managers are constantly swearing at each other or employees (who swear back, i would as well) I know the job must be stressful but there is more to being a manager than passing down jobs which need to be completed, a little guidance would be nice.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think top management should have more involvement with staff at all levels, they need to make sure that employees know their job role and put more focus on guidance, training and development. Rather than managers just walking past and looking to see how much work the employee has done, it might be nice for them to engage in a short conversation, asking how the day has been and asking if there are any problems.

Challenging but fun

I have been working at ASDA as an intern for more than a year

Pros: Fantastic people, fast paced, good benefits, achnowledgement for colleagues Cons: Conflicting expectations, no achnowledgement for managers, base pay Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

7 years working nightshift on fresh/chilled department

Chilled Night Colleague (Former Employee)
Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at ASDA part-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Easy work for a good wage, much less customers during the night shift and so… Cons: No increase in pay for overtime, I worked 10pm-6am and if you work… Advice to Senior Management: If you are working a 'night shift', then employees should get paid night rate for the length of time they stay i.e. at least get… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on ASDA.

Worked for ASDA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ASDA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ASDA CEO ¬†Andy Clarke. All reviews posted anonymously by ASDA employees.