There are newer employer reviews for AT&T

It's amazing anything works at all

Current Employee - Network Operations Engineer in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Network Operations Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The telecom industry is stable. You can work at AT&T for a long time. They offer good compensation and telecommuting. They provide great value to shareholders. I've met plenty of good hardworking people here.

Cons

AT&T is a massive, complex organization heavily segmented into silos. The silos make communication difficult across teams. Jargon, processes, software systems, are different across teams. Finding the right person to help can be a challenge. Simple information queries can be very complex. This poor communication and segmentation makes restoring customer service very difficult. It can take a long time due to the absolutely awful organizational structure, poor tools, and poor employee skill sets. To further aggravate the issue, managers are more interested in artificial metrics rather than problems getting fixed. If I have a technical case with another group, I find that it gets closed out with little to no communication. Technical groups are simply trying to maintain and improve upon their performance metrics. It seems that few care that your problem is actually solved. I often find myself fighting on the customers behalf against other groups and making glacial progress while others are focused on closing out cases so they present low metrics. Fixing customer connections correctly the first time is a foreign concept. The skill set of employees in the same group varies drastically. Calling three times to the same group on the same issue will garner three different answers. As a fellow AT&Ter and customer advocate, I'm embarrassed to say I work here some days and find myself apologizing for our collective ineptness to resolve customer issues in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

Reduce the segmentation and poor communication between teams. Invest in training your employees. Clean up the IT mess; Systems should be more unified. Improve your on boarding process, its slow and inadequate. I observe new employees feeling lost for months if not years. Tickets can take 30 minutes to be created for some silos. Customer information is scattered allover different database systems with various degrees of accuracy. It's not funny when I ask an AT&Ter to look up a DSL customer and he can't find the customer record, but when I call back to a colleague they miraculously locate it. It's not productive if a call drops during troubleshooting, and I can't directly call that same employee back because they aren't allowed to take direct calls -- I had to sit in a queue and speak to someone else. It's sad when a customer has to intervene to work on a router, because the field tech isn't knowledgable on the product we service. You guys should spend some time on the front lines in these various departments and out in the field and take a look at how we are doing.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Network Engineer

Former Employee - Network Engineer in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at AT&T full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Work life balance, flexcible environment.

Cons

Very Hard to move up. very little opportunities.

Advice to Management

Provide carrer path to employees.

2. Retail Sales Consultant

Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Visalia, CA
    Current Employee - AT&T Retail Sales Consultant in Visalia, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good pay depending on where you live. I live in central california and housing here is dirt cheap. To bring home on average 45-55k a year here is comfortable.

Cons

Ever since a PTDT system has been used if your not liked by management for personal reasons, its easy to lose your job. The PDTS is an observation that managers do on you to observe if your following the five key behaviors.

Advice to Management

Most retail sales consultants are much more productive when they're happy. Do not make employees feel like your breathing down on them. More positive coaching rather than the "why didn't you talk about this and that?"