AT&T

www.att.com
  www.att.com
There are newer employer reviews for AT&T

Lacking effective leadership in recent years

Current Employee - Senior Quality/M&P/Process Manager in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Senior Quality/M&P/Process Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Team awards, 401k matching, educational benefits, opportunity to work for a leader in wireless and IPTV technologies.

Cons

Job security
Yearly salary increases
Lack of leadership and direction
Salaries
Glass ceiling at area manager level

Go back to pre AT&T purchase leadership values. Reduce pro corporate propaganda. Get a more spirited leader to speak to the employees. Randall is a very smart and successful person, he just doesn't a presence like Ed did or Stankey has now. If you want a more hip corporate culture stop the talking and take action. Half of the company is stuck in 1970's mode the other half is trying to transform the culture by talking about it. Drop the massive hierarchy and flatten out.

5877 Other Employee Reviews for AT&T (View Most Recent)

Overly Bureaucratic

Former Employee - Software Developer in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Greensboro, NC

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Generally stable company. It's a big name to have on your resume. Provides experience working with very large projects. Management opportunities appear to be abundant. Pay is generous.

Cons

IT work is frequently pushed offshore with little regard to quality, creating long-term maintenance difficulties. Immediate tactical cost savings are valued much more than long-term strategic planning. Career advancement is laughable - promotions/progressions are constantly put "on hold" indefinitely. Non-performers are coddled instead of cut. Forced ranking rating system punishes high performing teams.

Throw away the red tape. Embrace Agile software development. Treat employees with respect, rewarding those who excel.

Weak leadership & Unprofessional managers

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Johnson City, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Johnson City, TN

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Time off, overall benefits package (medical, dental, phone discount).

Cons

I took a position within their call center located in East Tennessee shortly after completion of my undergraduate studies and earning my first degree. The majority of individuals who are employeed at this particular location don't or in this case didn't appear to have a great deal of formal education or specific skill sets and unfortunately as a result it was evident that numerous managers didn't respect them as people/employee's and treated them as if they were just an assembly line robot that could be easily replaced. My distaste for this environment in particular was due to the fact that I didn't "play the game" so to speak. For example, I intentionally chose not to try and become best friends with every manager (area managers in particular) who wanted to extend their hand or better yet nose in my business in hopes of securing some type of friendship. This apparently had a negative impact on their view of either my loyalty to them/company as their attitudes towards myself as well as other professionals became quite negative and at times their was a great deal of attitude from managers even those who I/we didn't have a work relationship with. I would name individuals however that would not be fair and honestly isn't that important. For the record there are very few employee's who are actually quailty individuals who I think will do fine. However unfortunately the majority of team managers as well as several area managers could certainly benefit from some coaching sessions on leadership, communication, etc. This is not meant to be an attack but rather I simply felt the need to express my thoughts for those interested in the AT&T call center culture. I'm a young lady who now holds a Master's degree and likely earns more than even the director/s who manage the entire center (not bitter at all). In closing, the managers are quite pathethic and just don't appear to be very intelligent individuals that both blur and abuse the lines of authority over the men and women who may have no other option for employment outside of this company. Myself in addition to several others had opportunities outside of the call center and simply left to embark on the many endevors that came our way. Best of luck to any of you who plan to move on!

Have discussions about Ethics, Code of Conduct, Corporate Culture, and most importantly Leadership for your management team.

There are newer employer reviews for AT&T