AT&T

www.att.com
  www.att.com
There are newer employer reviews for AT&T

Great company if you're going to retire there, but look elsewhere for professional growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company follows best practices in technology and there are review boards that provide guidance and ensure those practices are followed. The scale at which things are done at AT&T is very large and there are very few companies where that sort of exposure is available.

Cons

Promotions are rare and the process is very cumbersome. Also, raises are small on average (1%-3%). However, the two biggest problems are the politics which can makes for a caustic work environment and the focus of senior management on metrics (numbers, percentages, etc.) which causes a lot of decisions to be very short term and narrow. Both the above also create silos where people become experts in very specific things and don't get exposure to anything outside.

Focus on the employees instead of metrics, since you have an amazing pool of talent. Also, try to eliminate the politics and infighting within Business Units, not only does it make for an tense work environment but also creates silos, where collaboration and learning is stunted.

5844 Other Employee Reviews for AT&T (View Most Recent)

NEUTRAL

Current Employee - Technician in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paycheck came every 2 weeks for 30 years. Dividends were generous.

Cons

Middle management are robots-non thinking. People don't seem to care anymore and it's quite obvious.

Leave us alone and let us do our jobs. It never happened in 30 years-still waiting. The best thing you have going for you is the fact that employees are going to answer to their customers and not you.

It's amazing anything works at all

Current Employee - Network Operations Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Network Operations Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The telecom industry is stable. You can work at AT&T for a long time. They offer good compensation and telecommuting. They provide great value to shareholders. I've met plenty of good hardworking people here.

Cons

AT&T is a massive, complex organization heavily segmented into silos. The silos make communication difficult across teams. Jargon, processes, software systems, are different across teams. Finding the right person to help can be a challenge. Simple information queries can be very complex. This poor communication and segmentation makes restoring customer service very difficult. It can take a long time due to the absolutely awful organizational structure, poor tools, and poor employee skill sets. To further aggravate the issue, managers are more interested in artificial metrics rather than problems getting fixed. If I have a technical case with another group, I find that it gets closed out with little to no communication. Technical groups are simply trying to maintain and improve upon their performance metrics. It seems that few care that your problem is actually solved. I often find myself fighting on the customers behalf against other groups and making glacial progress while others are focused on closing out cases so they present low metrics. Fixing customer connections correctly the first time is a foreign concept. The skill set of employees in the same group varies drastically. Calling three times to the same group on the same issue will garner three different answers. As a fellow AT&Ter and customer advocate, I'm embarrassed to say I work here some days and find myself apologizing for our collective ineptness to resolve customer issues in a timely manner.

Reduce the segmentation and poor communication between teams. Invest in training your employees. Clean up the IT mess; Systems should be more unified. Improve your on boarding process, its slow and inadequate. I observe new employees feeling lost for months if not years. Tickets can take 30 minutes to be created for some silos. Customer information is scattered allover different database systems with various degrees of accuracy. It's not funny when I ask an AT&Ter to look up a DSL customer and he can't find the customer record, but when I call back to a colleague they miraculously locate it. It's not productive if a call drops during troubleshooting, and I can't directly call that same employee back because they aren't allowed to take direct calls -- I had to sit in a queue and speak to someone else. It's sad when a customer has to intervene to work on a router, because the field tech isn't knowledgable on the product we service. You guys should spend some time on the front lines in these various departments and out in the field and take a look at how we are doing.

There are newer employer reviews for AT&T