AT&T

Customer service Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Oakland, CA
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oakland, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great people working for the company,

Cons

AT&T has lost the first lessons they taught me in basic training, customers are always first, service representative are to give great customer service always, maintain customer loyalty and own the home.

When you took the words "customer service" our of the job title and made them "sales representative" you took the customer out of the equation. Remember give great customer service keep great customers.

5653 Other Employee Reviews for AT&T (View Most Recent)

horrible experience, long hours and bad pay

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at AT&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

not a good company to work for, had decent benefits

Cons

long hours and bad pay

MATREX is not the worst experience ever, but definitely not as advertised.

I have been working at AT&T full-time

Pros

Decent Compensation and benefits including 50% service discounts on wireless, U-verse, etc.
    Large company means lots of opportunities to move around across organizations and disciplines
    (if that's your thing)
    Easy to hide if you're not a top performer
    There are cool projects/initiatives
    You start as an hourly employee, therefore if you work OT, you're paid for OT.
    You have access to some good resources to essentially create your own training program.
    AT&T probably looks good on your resume.
    Local management seems to care and want to make changes (remains to be seen if they can make changes).

Cons

Most of these comments apply to AT&T as a whole, I tried to call out where they apply to the region specific office:

MATREX is not a set rotational program. You only "rotate" if you wrap up a client project and they have no other work for you, or if you absolutely hate it and are lucky enough to switch to a new client.

Teams are nearly 100% distributed, face-to-face meetings don't really exist, even if everyone happens to be in the same location. I essentially (and by requirement) commute into the physical office every day, to sit at my desk all day and telecommute to meet with my actual team.
    Top management is selling a new workplace arrangement allowing employees, when reasonable, to work from wherever they want. Middle/lower management has yet to buy into that sales pitch.

Basically, this position is an internal contractor position. In Dallas, you and 50, yes 50, other people report to your single CDT/WorX (the internal contracting organization) manager. Don't expect a lot of face time with this manager, what person has time to address 50 direct reports? You also report to your client manager. Your work experience is almost totally dependent on being placed on a client that gives you meaningful work. Even if you're not a fan of large corporate America (AT&T definitely fits the bill), If you get a client that seeks to involve you, develop you and leverage your existing skills, your experience will be at least somewhat rewarding.

AT&T is huge, so a lot of the processes and tools are outdated with no clear plan for when they will be updated. There is a lot of talking, but not a lot of walking (or maybe it just takes THAT long for it to trickle down). If cutting edge or up to date technologies is your passion, you will have a second job here, trying to find someone to get you on projects utilizing said technology.

The 150 hours or whatever they advertise of training is 80% online web modules or reading. The in-person leadership training is pretty good, but there isn't enough of it. If you're smart, you'll find training available outside of the "MATREX Training" and do that.

Don't expect any benefits that you might expect of a typical technology company. No free coffee, no free granola bars. No gym, free or otherwise, onsite.

It's a huge corporate company. Everything moves slow and you have to be prepared for that.

Oh yeah, don't expect because you work for AT&T that you'll find out about new products or have demos for them in advance. Company is strictly need to know, unless you're on that project, you probably will learn about it from reading tech blogs before you hear about it from AT&T.

All in all, AT&T says it cares, but I question it.

One more thing, parking has developed into a nightmare involving AT&T and the downtown Dallas area. The AT&T garages have been limited to "Level 2" and above employees (you come as Level 1). AT&T has actually contracted with a public garage in the downtown for employees getting booted out of the AT&T garages, but new employees won't get into that garage and it effectively eliminated a public option for you. At the time of this writing you are on your own for finding parking in the downtown area.

Walk the talk. So much of what I hear from you consists of buzzwords. Show that you mean what you say. Stop being "me too". The last few things that I think of that AT&T pioneered were negative such as the elimination of unlimited data, but Verizon still beat you guys to offering shared data.

There are newer employer reviews for AT&T

Worked for AT&T? Contribute to the Community!